Frame and trans question

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok I've had steering problems for a long time when I had the ttb and now with the d60 I've had 2 or 3 gear boxes and about 5 pumps and now we've gotta change one of the 2 agian.i had 265's when it started then we fixed it and I had 285's and we got to lookin one day and my frame twists where the gear box is and now with the d60 and 315's it's doing it agian. Are the bullnose frames weaker then the bricknose and obs frames because I've got a d60 swapped obs on 315's and it doesn't have a problem and neither do any of my buddy's that have factory or d60 swapped trucks but there all obs's. If the brick nose frames are stronger I've got a chance to buy a whole truck for 500 running an driving and I'll just swap all my stuff onto it. Next question is will a Idi zf5 fit a powerstroke. Mines about bit the dust and if it will then it would really be worth my buying that truck anyway.thank ya

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Frame flex could be cracks or welds let go. Also overly stff kingpins and big tyres....look carefully at your frame and the cross member area where boxed by steering box.

Also measure frame thickness and compare to obs frames.

JM7.3CW Eh!

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Frame flex could be cracks or welds let go. Also overly stff kingpins and big tyres....look carefully at your frame and the cross member area where boxed by steering box.

Also measure frame thickness and compare to obs frames.

JM7.3CW Eh!

I've got ball joints and it did it with the d60 and 285s also.but I'll try an check that tomorrow but I remember the rsk being different for those year trucks but I couldn't remember if it was frame related or what

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1990 cab and chassis has the same frame as my 1996.the cab and chassis frames have 7 inch beams under the cab thay are 3 inchs across the top and bottom vs the 6 x 2 of the standard. The cab and chassis frames are alse reinforced with 1/4 steel at the top and bottom of frame rails near cab. My c&c trucks seems more "solid" under load than my 1993 regular f350 did.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
My 1990 cab and chassis has the same frame as my 1996.the cab and chassis frames have 7 inch beams under the cab thay are 3 inchs across the top and bottom vs the 6 x 2 of the standard. The cab and chassis frames are alse reinforced with 1/4 steel at the top and bottom of frame rails near cab. My c&c trucks seems more "solid" under load than my 1993 regular f350 did.

These are just regular 3/4 tons I have but I also have a cab chassis

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many of these trucks have that problem. There is a Ford TSB out on it. Rivets that hold the front crossmember to the frame work loose, the TSB tells you to drill it out and put bolts in. You also need to check for frame cracks behind the steering box and on that front side of the front crossmember. Just like the firewall cracking problem with the clutch, it's a problem that develops on these trucks. Many "death wobble" cases are found to have this problem also, after countless trips to the frontend shop.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Many of these trucks have that problem. There is a Ford TSB out on it. Rivets that hold the front crossmember to the frame work loose, the TSB tells you to drill it out and put bolts in. You also need to check for frame cracks behind the steering box and on that front side of the front crossmember. Just like the firewall cracking problem with the clutch, it's a problem that develops on these trucks. Many "death wobble" cases are found to have this problem also, after countless trips to the frontend shop.

Well I do have a death wobble problem if my tire pressure is over 45 or there off

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welding x member to frame is supposed to help...cannotta recall who did or does this here but I knkw someone does...LCAM or Russ or...dunno

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Welding x member to frame is supposed to help...cannotta recall who did or does this here but I knkw someone does...LCAM or Russ or...dunno

We weren't sure if there was a way to brace it or not but that's probley what we will do

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online