Tie rods and related steering components

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a slight "pop" in the steering, tracked it down to a tie rod end and figured I would replace the whole steering linkage assembly. The process seems fairly straight forward, remove a complete assembly, bench fit the new one to as close as possible to old one, reinstall and head for alignment shop. What I did not expect was the dizzying array of parts choices on Rock Auto, some obviously not the same as what I have. I had wanted to stay with Moog, but the more I look the more confusing it gets. I don't want to replace just the offending joint, but rather the whole assembly as it only makes sense. Does anyone have any advice on parts choices? Is the Motorcraft or ACDelco a better choice? Also, is there an easy way to get the correct part numbers?

This is for the 94 4WD, axle code is C5 which I believe makes it a Sterling 10.25" if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the guidance. This will be my first steering assembly in 52 years on this planet but the task looks easy enough.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the D60 thread in my signature. I included an extensive list of part numbers that should be what you need.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mblaney is probably the best rebuild with part numbers I've seen.

I've heard a lot of good comments regarding XRF steering parts. They are a little hard to find though. But are priced right and are supposedly good quality. I keep hearing Moog isn't the end all be all of steering as they once were. They are becoming hit and miss regarding quality.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I've heard a lot of good comments regarding XRF steering parts. They are a little hard to find though. But are priced right and are supposedly good quality. I keep hearing Moog isn't the end all be all of steering as they once were. They are becoming hit and miss regarding quality.

X2

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the D60 thread in my signature. I included an extensive list of part numbers that should be what you need.

Thanks, I actually found it earlier with a search but somehow missed the part numbers.

Never heard of them, Google wasn't much help either. I am finding XRF though.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an ISSUE with the dezign of the Ford D60 steering linkage assembly that indeed makes a PoP.

I recently came across a product designed to essentially elliminate the slack roll pop that occurrs in our linkages. This is where the tie rod and drag linkage meet. The tre rolls over and back making the PoP you are likely experiencing.

As the product was and is not designed for our Ford trucks linkage but designed for linkages like ours I gambled 20 bucks and bought the part.

Sadly it did not fit as I had hoped.

However after locating a soft spacer I managed to get the part to in ezsence work as described.

The idea of the product is awesome its just not for our application and if it was it would be fantastic!!!!

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1768.html

I have been in contact with them and suggested they make a FORD compatible part. Perhaps if enough of us with D60s asked and committed we may be able to convince them to do us right?

This is why I did not write a review or do a tech 101 as it works as described but fits like *****.

Lets hammer them with requests for a Ford part...

Just sayin...jeeps n chevs are not the only trucks needing this ...

Or if anyone here can manufacture in say teflon or delrin or uhmw....nows yer chance

Al

Oh btw...no matter how good of linkage and tres u get....PoP goes the linkage...

Last edited:

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
Go to moog website. It's clearer there. You need 4 tie rods and 2 adjusting sleeves. The 2 short tie rods are the same part number and there are 2 long tie rods, 2 different part numbers.OOG-ES3009R
1-
MOOG-DS1071
1-
MOOG-DS1068
2-MOOG-ES2012S sleeves

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an ISSUE with the dezign of the Ford D60 steering linkage assembly that indeed makes a PoP.

Al

Oh btw...no matter how good of linkage and tres u get....PoP goes the linkage...

I agree, and I did see where someone made the Chevy 1-ton assembly work but I didn't study it closely as I don't want to do that much work. I am building our house, one stick at a time and just don't have the time to get into an involved project. Yes, the pop is right where the two bars come together.
You must be registered for see images attach

I have quit driving it until I get the parts and time to do it, thankfully I have the Chevy to do my hard work until I have the time to do all of the little things I want to do to this truck, then I can safely sell the Chevy.

Thanks Ironworker, I will do that and make my life easier.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks, I actually found it earlier with a search but somehow missed the part numbers.

Never heard of them, Google wasn't much help either. I am finding XRF though.

Forgive me MBlaney, old people like me should not reply to posts on their phone, I did not even notice that MBlaney was you and not a parts supplier. I am old, I have no other excuse. :D

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No harm no foul! I am just glad that you could google my handle and not find anything :eek: Well, nothing bad anyway :D

@riotwarrior... thanks for the info about the ISSUE. I think I will make one of those spacers, I happen to have a small stock of nylon and Delrin rounds. I have been disappointed in the steering since my rebuild and that sloppiness is exactly the problem. I can't set a date and time when it will be done but I will make a thread with detailed info.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No harm no foul! I am just glad that you could google my handle and not find anything :eek: Well, nothing bad anyway :D

@riotwarrior... thanks for the info about the ISSUE. I think I will make one of those spacers, I happen to have a small stock of nylon and Delrin rounds. I have been disappointed in the steering since my rebuild and that sloppiness is exactly the problem. I can't set a date and time when it will be done but I will make a thread with detailed info.

First dibz on production models....:rotflmao

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I recently came across a product designed to essentially elliminate the slack roll pop that occurrs in our linkages. This is where the tie rod and drag linkage meet. The tre rolls over and back making the PoP you are likely experiencing.

As the product was and is not designed for our Ford trucks linkage but designed for linkages like ours I gambled 20 bucks and bought the part.

Sadly it did not fit as I had hoped.

However after locating a soft spacer I managed to get the part to in ezsence work as described.

The idea of the product is awesome its just not for our application and if it was it would be fantastic!!!!

http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/R1768.html

I have been in contact with them and suggested they make a FORD compatible part. Perhaps if enough of us with D60s asked and committed we may be able to convince them to do us right?

This is why I did not write a review or do a tech 101 as it works as described but fits like *****.

Lets hammer them with requests for a Ford part...

Just sayin...jeeps n chevs are not the only trucks needing this ...

Or if anyone here can manufacture in say teflon or delrin or uhmw....nows yer chance

Al

Al -

Have you ever heard of running two tie rod dust boots to help stop this rotation and "pop". I was reading about this and found reference to running multiple tie rod boots as a way to help stop this. Not as nice as the Ruff stuff part, but wondered if it's an alternative.

Also what about "clocking" the tie rods? Is there any positions that help reduce this?

Jeremy

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Al -

Have you ever heard of running two tie rod dust boots to help stop this rotation and "pop". I was reading about this and found reference to running multiple tie rod boots as a way to help stop this. Not as nice as the Ruff stuff part, but wondered if it's an alternative.

Also what about "clocking" the tie rods? Is there any positions that help reduce this?

Jeremy

When I had mine aligned (as it is now) I noticed that the tre are \ / that would reduce the drag link's ability to articulate (flop). I considered this to be chitty workmanship and ******* the boots and TRE's. Now I think they probably did this purposely to reduce rotation.

I found some nice info on this - I am starting a new thread about it... I might see about making some parts this weekend!

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to the new thread. I'll have to see how I set my TRE's up on my draglink.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Parts ordered and will be here Wednesday. Now I will need to take some time away from framing he house to install them.