DIY pop tester

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
Has anyone here built a pop tester from a 2-ton bottle jack? I'm gathering parts, but I have a few questions. It seems that the majority of them that I see are stupid simple, like a T fitting with a gauge and an injector line. That's all fine and good, but if I wanted to do a timed leak test, wouldn't I want to put a check valve in line and a pressure relief valve (a ball valve) as a parallel system?

Also, what type of fitting would you use to adapt from 1/4" NPT to the injector line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that you will fight the bottle jack (especially a cheapie) to maintain pressure. You'll end up pumping it like a mad man bouncing the needle all over, and there goes any consistency in your numbers.

To do a timed leakdown, add in the check valve I spec'd. To relieve pressure barely loosen the injector.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I planned on copying Oldbull's design here, but there were a few questions that weren't answered. BDCarillo, i was planning on using a check valve with a return and a glycerine filled gauge or a manometer to reduce the inaccuracies. I would think a digital manometer would work pretty well, but like I said, i am definitely using a check valve. I also believe I read on your thread that you can use an adapter from 1/4"NPT to M12x1.5 to an injector hardline without using any other adaptors, correct?

As for the reservoir, it seems like you can just weld one to the outside of the machine.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I planned on copying Oldbull's design here, but there were a few questions that weren't answered. BDCarillo, i was planning on using a check valve with a return and a glycerine filled gauge or a manometer to reduce the inaccuracies. I would think a digital manometer would work pretty well, but like I said, i am definitely using a check valve. I also believe I read on your thread that you can use an adapter from 1/4"NPT to M12x1.5 to an injector hardline without using any other adaptors, correct?

As for the reservoir, it seems like you can just weld one to the outside of the machine.

The metric adapter should work just fine to attach the hardline; if memory serves you won't need the little pipe nut sleeves.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I got it built! The hardest part was waiting for pieces to arrive. Right now, it's just a basic tester, but I have some more parts on the way to make it a little more fancy. I was able to use the 1/4" to M12 adapter to go straight to the injector hardline. It is a perfect fit.

The pic is just preliminary!
You must be registered for see images attach

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the filter. Finaly found pictures of mine, still need to attach filter and paint cup to it,

Last edited:

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I like the filter. Finaly found pictures of mine, still need to attach filter and paint cup to it,

I can't see your pics

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online