Homemade Pyrometer / WVO Controller System

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the past couple of months, I have been working on a Vegetable oil system controller for my pickup. It is powered by an Arduino mega and features a touch screen to display information and to allow for inputs. The system reads in coolant temperature via a temp sensor and a voltage divider and will switch between oil and diesel either automatically or manually based on the coolant temperature. The switching is done by mosfets which are controlled by the arduino to allow for switching of 12V (the arduino operates at 5v). It also handles purge times by cycling the supply and return valves back to diesel at the correct times.

The beauty of the system is that since its powered by an Arduino microcontroller, it is very customizable. So I have decided to also add a pyrometer with this system. All that is needed is a k type thermocouple amplifier and a k type EGT probe. I got the thermcouple amplifier with a cheesy little thermocouple for 15 dollars, and have already tested it with my controller to prove that it works. I have a better thermcouple probe on order, this one to be exact. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009HW44F4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
The shipping is slow, but the price was right, so I figured if it doesnt work, I'm not out much. This probe won't arrive until sometime in April, so when it shows up, Ill get it installed and hopefully I'll have the controller wrapped up and ready to install as well.

Here's a picture of it being tested with the coolant sensor. (Eng. Temp and EGT are being simulated based on Oil Temp in this photo just as place holders.) Oil temp on the screen actually signifies the temperature of the coolant in the WVO filter head. This filter head has a cross flow plate with oil in and out, as well as coolant in and out to heat up the oil.

You must be registered for see images attach

I just figured I'd share with you guys. Let me know what you all think.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make me two for WMO!!! Preferably with GPS to program areas to run d2 only. And a TC lockup light

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O how cool is that.... BOSS that's how cool..

Great idea and looks great too.

gonna have to make/market them now that the cat is outta the bag....

Just sayin...

I'm getting into WVO/WMO and may have to have one meself!!

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the GPS idea. I've never done anything with GPS and an arduino but I do know it's possible.

As far as marketing them goes. I'm considering it, but there's quite a bit to consider with legality and such. It's got a long way to go before it's a marketable product, but I already do have my dad interested. I think I may end up making one for him once I get the system in place.

I plan to have a case 3d printed for it as well to give it a better look. It's all a matter of finding time now.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been considering doing the same type of thing (not so much for WVO but to consolidate a bunch of gauges) using a Raspberry Pi. I'm a programming noob but I do konw a thing or three about process control. Very cool. ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would have loved if this technology was available when I was 20! I would have eaten that stuff up. As it was, I built a digital tach interface and throttleometer and digital volt meter with discrete semiconductors back when through hole technology was all we had. I bread-boarded a lot of projects in my youth. You microcontroller guys are living the dream.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
very cool... ive been putting my head into ladder logic lately but once i have a specific project finished i want to get into the programming side of the arduino... i have a couple ideas in mind that it would be handy for.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a mini here, always thought it would be easy to rig up a remote start with it too, including timing for glowplugs. use tach sensor to determine if engine fired after say 10 sec cranking. reglow, retry x times,

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would love to do remote start as well. If I did, I'd add a sim card module so I could simply text the vehicle to start, so I could do it from anywhere with cell service.

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..that is brilliant! Seems pretty comprex for me, care to elaborate a bit?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's awesome, now if you could make it say "I can't do that Dave".....

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
..that is brilliant! Seems pretty comprex for me, care to elaborate a bit?
The sim card modules are called gpsr and you can get them in shield for compatible with arduino uno and mega. Of course, you could use it in any arduino by jumping the wires.

It uses a sim card and can handle text messages and calls too I believe. There is a library written from it and it can generate and receive texts, then with the arduino you could do certain things base den those received texts. I have one at home, I just haven't played with it much yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony