IDI Exhibit

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was at the LA County Fair today and I went to look at the NHRA Motorsports Museum while I was there. Turns out they have a whole exhibit dedicated to Banks products, mostly for GM stuff, but I happened to see a display of a 7.3l IDI with the Banks Sidewinder System. This is the first time I've seen an IDI display before!

The exhibit indicates that the Sidewinder came out in 1995 as a replacement to the old Banks setup that some of us have:
You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
very nice, not even studded, do like the manifolds though those are quite sweet.

Thanks for all the fine pictures

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats a nice looking idi but. If I'm correct thats the 6.9 floor model they have had on the showroom display for many years. Its nicelt chromed up but some important parts are missing. Like the turbo oil drain back to the valley pan. I don't recall what else was missing but its for show and not go. Also not a chance its a 95 model year unless they "bought it then". Ford may have been selling off inventory but not putting them in trucks then. Still a nice looking display.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well thats a nice looking idi but. If I'm correct thats the 6.9 floor model they have had on the showroom display for many years. Its nicelt chromed up but some important parts are missing. Like the turbo oil drain back to the valley pan. I don't recall what else was missing but its for show and not go. Also not a chance its a 95 model year unless they "bought it then". Ford may have been selling off inventory but not putting them in trucks then. Still a nice looking display.

I think they were saying that '95 was the year the Sidewinder system came out. It occurred to me that the display engine has a V-belt setup so it has to be a 6.9l or early 7.3l.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum. Located in Indiana. Use to have a 7.3 idi motor on display I believe it was painted teal blue and silver. That was back in 2008. Not sure if they still have it.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no one noticed the 'power gains' to the wheel? 82/143, gained. So lets apply that to a stock idi. Lets say 110/220 to the wheels in stock form, applying some wear and tear on the truck using a 30% loss of power through the driveline. Now you install this $2600 banks kit, and the truck will absolutely make 192/363 to the wheels. Now from the dyno numbers people have shown here, think this is legit? huh? Do you? Way to go banks. Even back in 1995 (obviously stating the year the kit came out) when nothing sucked you still sucked.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
^ I'm not disagreeing at all.
But why is it everyone says a idit will compete with/out pull a stock obs powerstroke?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
In Auburn Cord Duesenberg Automobile Museum. Located in Indiana. Use to have a 7.3 idi motor on display I believe it was painted teal blue and silver. That was back in 2008. Not sure if they still have it.

I sure will be asking this question today on the ACD forum. I have been a member of the Auburn Cord Duesenberg Club for decades.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize my truck came with the newer system. Cool beans. Wish it looked like that. Working or not, cool and a little weird to see the idi in museums.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk