How to clean out the magnetic pick up hole

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
My mag pick up hole was rusted so I made this tool to clean it out. I used a 1/4 in bolt . I cut a slot in it. Take some fine sandpaper and put it in the slot and roll it up. I used a right angle dill. It took only a few minutes.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 31
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 30

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow your lucky it didn't break off the skinny tube from the timing tab. Actually you need to use a 5/16 drill bit in that hole. I include that size drill bit in every meter I rent out. I recommend using it by hand and not a drill motor. Those holes fill up with all kinds of road hell. Its a good idea to place some tape over the hole once it's clean. Like Mel does he uses a piece of electrical tape on the sanded clean to bare metal hard line where the clamp fits. That way its always ready for timing with the least amount of cleaning. Thanks for sharing this too.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
The fit was loose on the sandpaper and the right angle drill fit perfectly and it is variable speed so I ran it SLOW. You don't need much rpm. I tried the drill bit and small files with no luck, before I came up with this idea.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nice idea but make sure a 5/16 drill bit will fit. Otherwise the mag probe will be hard to install. also use 3 business cards as the shim to keep the mag probe from touching the damper. Just slip them under the timing tab and push in the mag probe till it touches the cards. Then remove the cards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online