Blew something in engine? HG or not sure

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driving down the road not too far from home:hail All of a sudden BAM:eek: fricken clack clack clack and pouring white smoke out tail pipe -cuss

Wasn't too sure, jumped out let idle and smelled...kinda like coolant :rolleyes:

Came home quick and light on throttle and so far so good starts runs but clatters, notice a significant increase in oil level now UGH...wasnt any colour other than black though??? Not nuff time to mix to brown ROFL

Rad is low on coolant too...I can see top of core bare no fluid....EEEK! It was slightly pressurized too when I popped off cap...but not huge...truck wasn't even warm when this happened maybe drove total of 2 miles each direction...

So I guess it's compression test time and see which hole blows water...I'm thinking HG myself and hoping it's nothing more...

Uploading a couple of quick videos I shot too...
Driving
http://youtu.be/Fx2sHvW75OU

Parked
http://youtu.be/JXG2z8oVIcE

Other than the clatter it sounded OK, at first I thought stuck injector but all were cold to touch. Hmmm..

Leads me back to HG I'm hoping and not cracked block or head....

Anyone got any other ideas?

One angry, sad, disappointed, fellow. Hmmm...gotta get on getting fluid outta that engine so no rusty rusty I guess....arrrggghhhh

Al

E D I T...

What ever the #*&$ it is...you can all be assured it WILL be TECH 101'd big time :rotflmao with tons of pics n maybe more vids DOH!!!

E D I T EDIT

Just called 4 places waiting on a return call from one for price...

2 Canadian places

Local Napa 145 valley and 246 for hg set

Osoyoos Lordco 139 valley and 235 hg set

Oroville WA Napa 69 valley and 145 hg set :love:

Waiting to hear from Penticton Lordco,

WHY oh WHY is it so much different in 30 mile drive? and one border like who decides this *****????

Al

E D I T x 3

Penticton Lordco called...

Yuppers...got me stuff on order

HG set $154.91

VP $74.48

Last edited:

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's up with the radiator cap at 9 seconds? Looks like a plume of steam rising up.

gandalf

Reaction score
Sure does have every appearance of being a blown head gasket.:mad: At this point, let's hope it's ONLY a blown head gasket.

Of course prices are going to be inflated, Al. You live in the Great White North. You ought to move down here to California, the land of Fruits and Nuts. You'd love it here, have a ball.;Sweet:D:rolleyes:

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks Al, I hope you find the little gremlin making it tick soon and its not to much of a difficult job. On the other hand though I'm looking forward to your tech 101 on compression testing and whatever else it is you have to do

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well just think, I've been remiss on changing oil and filter for a few 100 K missed my mark by a few not much, so this will force that, LOL

I can do a whole bunch of TECH 101's

Who knows....maybe turbo install too???

I dunno but it's win win as I see it! PO'd as I am and all...it's still WIN WIN! LOL

Came in and made breakfast since I skipped it earlier, Bacon fixes everything right? LOL

Then out to shop, finish up winch mount for six wheeler, neighbor comes by...um my lift on my tractors broken, can we fix it? Sure bring it on over...

Torch out and heat the 3/4" metal and a BFH and persuaded that back into alignment...LOL

Now just dodging rain..

No worries I won't be trying to start truck again for while now, I'll blow out all cylinders through GP"s and comp test, but I'm 99% certain it's a HG issue.

Thus, I can still do comp test TECH 101 and so on!

No I'm not moving to US, I like where I live, it's just close enough to US to warrant Superwifey crossing for parts now n then LOL

Thanks for looking guys...

Oh ya, not sure, but...could be a cab swap too while at this ROFL!

Al

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correction* beer and wings fix everything haha

O ya when i went to north central truck parts yesterday the guy said they have a 94 turbo idi motor, but hes not willing to part with the turbo

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn man no turbo for U then I suppose.

K well had to finish the six wheeler project I was working on and it's done for now.

So after this weekend I'll be back at the white Rhino seeing whats making it do whats goin on.

I just cannot let it get me down, I've gotta get it going anyway...camping end of month Buwa ha ha..and need to tow tent trailer and haul six wheeler...none of the other trucks would likely be capable of that LOL

Nuff for now

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't ask I was just interested in the turbo, I'll give them a call monday an get the price for you ill ask if they tested the compression to and just for fun ill ask about kms

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to here about your bad luck young man. But you got the right add-etude. I think your right on with the head gasket diagnoses. It's going to make a good read. Sorry but I can't wait for you to start it. LOL

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would not take a scrapyard word for mileage or condition unless I saw the truck personally. I got a 318 Dodge one time with two thrown rods that had a hundred fifty pounds compression on all 8... yeah sure

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well Al.. The coolant issue is very telling. Are you going to do both heads when you discover which cylinder is a problem. In for a penny... In for a pound I guess. The noise sounds mechanical but who knows till you open it up.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOL Gary, I'll comp test the engine 1-8 then once I've got that info, I'll see what comes of it.

Now was that a rhetorical question about my only doing 1 head? You can't be serious can you? Of course both are coming off! I didn't know there was another way to do the job....a little more time, a few dollars more and absolute piece of mind...ya I'll do both thank you very much!

Ya Not sure on the noise ran strong for the two K home...just smoked and rattled...Sure hope I don't have a big BOO BOO in there ...

Anyway tomorrow I'll comp test it and get some data.

Had a few beers last night...few too many..:puke:...payed the piper last night when I got home and today...:puke:

Rose was at her friends helping her move to a new place so she suggested I go to my friends place and have a few...

Won't do that again....no not to that degree...I just don't like it...couple beer ok but lots and bunch of Fireball whiskey just tipped the scales..rode 6 wheeler to his place and home I can only imagine what the ride home was like cause I don't remember! LOL

Well nuff for now...