So a DIY rebuild of a DMF is possible.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So apparently I pissed on someone's shoes wrong and someone else got butthurt that I wasn't too nice or something like that.

So here's what I'll do.

I shall tell you all (y'all's's) how to fixizzle that dual mass flywheel of yours.

I shall also have pictures when I'm not nearly as plastered.

1. I have done a conversion to SMF from DMF, then found a crack in my case, so got a 460 ZF.

2. Made a FrankenTrans out of 460 guts with 460 rear case half and 445 front half.

C. Stabbed it in, drank beer.

4. Started looking at this DMF of mine, and pondered.

4a. Lit a cigarette, drank more beer, pondered some more.

5. Took the 6 M10.9 bolts out holding the two halves of the DMF together and found sixizzle springs slightly larg3r than valve springs isolated with two plastic (nylon?) bushings at either end.

6. Took each spring out, made sure to catch all pieces as they come shooting out.

6a. Drank more beer.

7. Opened mah ayes, and lookered real good-like at the two plastic/nylon bushings at either end.

8. Yelled "HOT DANG!", slapped my knees and did a little jig.

Those bushings are identical, yet 6 (of 12 total) had deeper indentations from where the flywheel was forced into them.

I reinstalled two springs with 4 good bushings and reASSembled.

N. Drank more beer.

O. played with flywheel. Previous free play was 0.483" total rotational play between the two halves of flywheel.

P.(ee)

Q. Did some more figgurin' and measurin' and my play diminished to 0.005" or so.

S. Posted this here.

Will provide more pics.

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet #7 was pretty tough.... Did you have to squint real good or even close one eye?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
absofreakinlutely fantastic teck article on when how to drink beers n fixem trucks up gooder...fersure

me likeum yer style mate!

dungooder at gitterdun

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So anyway. If anyone wants to improve on this or wants my 6 good bushings, it is very possible to replace just the wear items in these DMF's and keep them going for years.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Hey did you ever post photos of your work . I have a good dmf that is on the high end of acceptable freeplay.

So apparently I pissed on someone's shoes wrong and someone else got butthurt that I wasn't too nice or something like that.

So here's what I'll do.

I shall tell you all (y'all's's) how to fixizzle that dual mass flywheel of yours.

I shall also have pictures when I'm not nearly as plastered.

1. I have done a conversion to SMF from DMF, then found a crack in my case, so got a 460 ZF.

2. Made a FrankenTrans out of 460 guts with 460 rear case half and 445 front half.

C. Stabbed it in, drank beer.

4. Started looking at this DMF of mine, and pondered.

4a. Lit a cigarette, drank more beer, pondered some more.

5. Took the 6 M10.9 bolts out holding the two halves of the DMF together and found sixizzle springs slightly larg3r than valve springs isolated with two plastic (nylon?) bushings at either end.

6. Took each spring out, made sure to catch all pieces as they come shooting out.

6a. Drank more beer.

7. Opened mah ayes, and lookered real good-like at the two plastic/nylon bushings at either end.

8. Yelled "HOT DANG!", slapped my knees and did a little jig.

Those bushings are identical, yet 6 (of 12 total) had deeper indentations from where the flywheel was forced into them.

I reinstalled two springs with 4 good bushings and reASSembled.

N. Drank more beer.

O. played with flywheel. Previous free play was 0.483" total rotational play between the two halves of flywheel.

P.(ee)

Q. Did some more figgurin' and measurin' and my play diminished to 0.005" or so.

S. Posted this here.

Will provide more pics.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I have discovered after reading this post.

I took apart a KNOWN bad DMF...busted to crap springs..to observe the bushings etc. There is one part that's not mentioned and that is the friction disc between the two halves.

I'll see about some pics but I've got TWO more well more than that but TWO more DMF's I'm playing with.

One off my White truck...small amount of play but tight play, the other is small amount of play but loosey goosey just slaps back and forth no dampening action.

Perhaps I can do a side by side video of them to show what I mean then pics of the NFG one that's all apart to show that friction disc and matching spot on the other half.

Not sure what/if anything could be done with that part.

Al

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking of this thread too, thanks for digging it up.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Sold off all my ford stuff. Playing with cummaparts now

Should have sprigs and bushings though, have to check the shed

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is bushing failure the reason for spring breakage? Or are these separate issues?

In my opinion, the springs break because they are wore out. Most springs cannot be cycled but so many times before they fail. Just like the ones in your easy chair that break and then poke you in the rearend after so many years of watching TV.

I would have contemplated a rebuild of the flywheel if those plastic spring seats were available.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grizzly Wrecker

Members online