TECH 101 Diesel Purge for our IDI's

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here I have my two parts of my TECH 101 Pic/vid tutorial.

The purpose of this product and method, is to fully cleanse the injectors and to a lesser degree the IP.

The product is renowned in the UK for super cleaning diesel injectors and IMHO is a great product.

Part one is pics, the second is the videos.

Enjoy

As I had previously promised I have completed my Liqui Moly Diesel Purge http://www.liqui-moly.us/liquimoly/produktdb.nsf/id/us_2005.html?Opendocument&land=US today and I've got to say I didn't see much of a change in overall IDLE running or for that matter any schmeg or gunk coming from the return line. I wonder if it is cause I routinely run filtered WVO in my fuel and it's already solvent enough to keep stuff clean????

First the truck was up to operating temp, from the trip to NAPA Keremoes to pick up the diesel purge. I then removed the Air filter housing to access the rear return line fitting. I then created a closed loop setup and utilized 3 Liters of Diesel purge altogether. 1 pre-loaded into the filter through the outer holes, then two more added into my container!

Here are some pictures of what I created basically some clear 1/4" ID hose 3/8" OD that feed from the return line at rear of block into a 2 KG peanut butter container and the same clear line is drawing material from the peanut butter container into my fuel filter, with no fuel pump...it's working very well I might say!

So here we go...

Three cans of the stuff...Made In Germany...must be good das yuuse lotsa dezls over der!
You must be registered for see images attach

Here you can see the feed line in the bottom and return line up a little higher

Here is the return line back to the container

Feed line into Filter housing...remember I prefilled that filter..

Here we have 2 Litres of diesel purge, approximately 2 quarts

Here is the setup nestled nicely on inner fender ready to fire it up! That's a remote starter switch so I'm doing this all under hood for observation and reporting!

After doing this I have noticed from a short jaunt of a test drive to the mail box, it seems more responsive ...that's nice...though unknown if it's just the DAMN I HOPE THIS MAKES A DIFFERENCE factor or real but it seems like a bit more power.

I have two Videos I'm uploading too so please be patient.

I hope this turns out as well as I anticipate.

TY

Al

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here we have the first of Two videos, I'll post both in this reply to keep this neat and clean.

Enjoy everyone!

Hope this helps ya'll.

http://youtu.be/Bmv7su4fRQ8

Here is the subsequent part 2 and this is where I shutterdown!

http://youtu.be/pO-CRWwa7Nk

Thanks for watching.

Al

EDIT

On a side note, I have thought about this POST purge...DOH!

If I do this again, be it on this engine or another, I'd after letting it run for 10-15 Minutes, SHUT down the engine, let sit for a couple hours, then start back up again allowing the purge to soak the injectors for a while. I have no idea if this would be good, it's just what I'll do next time.

Al

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, any idea how long it took to burn through those two cans of Diesel Purge?

Nice to see it done on an IDI ;Sweet thank you!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
It takes an amazingly long amount of time to burn through that little amount of fuel when you have it in a closed loop like that. I did a 4 can run through my truck once and thought I was going to be standing there forever.. Its amazing how little fuel you actually burn. Most of teh time the fuel flow is just excess going into the bypass line

warmblood58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice Al, thank you! Been wanting to do this and use MLP on my Mercedes. I have yet to see blackish product returning but might just see this on the current injectors which have high mileage on them. I am going to replace injectors, but having a curious mind, I like to measure results for myself at times, therefore, I will purge before R&R of injectors and will keep old injectors (which have been previously cleaned with MLP) as spares - Thanks for the great video!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats a great viedo showing lots of good information about our fuel systems. CLEARLY we now see what the return line flow is. Nobody will be able to say we have very little going back to the tanks. And this flow was only from the injection pump internal lift pump... Nothing else was running pushing the fuel thru the system. So if we add say 7 lbs to the filter I'm guessing we will have substancially more flow.... Maybe..:dunno You sure made this look easy. I really like the retrun line flow system you made up on that engine. Aeems the filter air bleed goes into the number 1 injecter. The injection pump return goes into the number 2 injecter. Then the number 7 injecter returns to the manifold at the number 8 injecter area.. Nice setup. Now I have to ask a question. What is the fluid your running as fuel and whats the reason for it.. I'm thinking its to clean the fuel system but thats not stated in any of the viedos... I'm not a smart man...:angel:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I have to ask a question. What is the fluid your running as fuel and whats the reason for it.. I'm thinking its to clean the fuel system but thats not stated in any of the viedos... I'm not a smart man...:angel:
It's essentially a fuel system cleaner on steroids ;Sweet It might clean the injector pump up a bit, but it's meant primarily to clean the injectors. I haven't done it on an IDI yet, but on M-B and VW diesels, it works wonders!!

Take a look here: http://www.tdiblog.com/tdi-do-it-yourself/tdi-fuel-injection-cleaning-diesel-purge/

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thats a great viedo showing lots of good information about our fuel systems. CLEARLY we now see what the return line flow is. Nobody will be able to say we have very little going back to the tanks. And this flow was only from the injection pump internal lift pump... Nothing else was running pushing the fuel thru the system. So if we add say 7 lbs to the filter I'm guessing we will have substancially more flow.... Maybe..:dunno You sure made this look easy. I really like the retrun line flow system you made up on that engine. Aeems the filter air bleed goes into the number 1 injecter. The injection pump return goes into the number 2 injecter. Then the number 7 injecter returns to the manifold at the number 8 injecter area.. Nice setup. Now I have to ask a question. What is the fluid your running as fuel and whats the reason for it.. I'm thinking its to clean the fuel system but thats not stated in any of the viedos... I'm not a smart man...:angel:

You are burning just the cleaner, THere is a bit of fuel mixed in the way it is hooked up , but the stuff is designed to burn by itself. It does an insane job of cleaning. If you want to get a diesel to pass ANY of teh european inspections, this stuff is a must. THey dont fool around over there. Your crap has to work, they dont put up with slobbering injectors . They encourage diesel ownership with tax incentives on new vehicle purchases, but they dang well better stay running clean.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just curious, any idea how long it took to burn through those two cans of Diesel Purge?

Nice to see it done on an IDI ;Sweet thank you!

Great question, IIRC I was about 20+ minutes of idling and revving up the engine off and on, I went through almost 2Litres in total.

It takes a while and if you watch close enough in video, you'll see the return flow increase and decrease with RPM.

Thanks for reading

Al

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice Al, thank you! Been wanting to do this and use MLP on my Mercedes. I have yet to see blackish product returning but might just see this on the current injectors which have high mileage on them. I am going to replace injectors, but having a curious mind, I like to measure results for myself at times, therefore, I will purge before R&R of injectors and will keep old injectors (which have been previously cleaned with MLP) as spares - Thanks for the great video!

Thank you,

I told you I wanted do this and I would, it comes down to $$ and time. I have one little of the other.

After thinking about this since doing this and our mechanical injection systems I came to the realization that unless you have an issue with a stuck injector, that you can tell physically from being HOT as we mention here; there is little chance of any black coming back. My theory and this is my theory is that if you have a stuck injector that carbon or such has caused to stick and combustion gasses get up into it, then and only then will you get the Black Back! JM2CW on black.

Good luck with your PURGE, please post results especially take video and pics if you get black back and throw it in this thread too to show what we are talking about.

Al

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

NOW NOW Gary,

Did you not read the first section talking about solvent and the links to the product...

Shame on you....well because of your comments, I added the what to and where for in the first post... LOL Thanks for bringing that up actually, as I do often, I do things thinking everyone else knows what I'm talking about...well the friends in my head all knew what was going on :D

Al

zloetakoe

Reaction score
Awesome. I know this thread is old, but I'm doing this as soon as I get around to it. Probably should figure out why my front fuel tank doesn't send any fuel to the engine first, but this looks more fun than dropping the front fuel tank.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
x10 on this stuff but dont be surprised if you dont feel much of a difference.

this works the best on veggie clogged mercedes. normal fuel systems wont see as big of a change. if the return is coming back pretty clean thats good. first time i used it the return was black! yuk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Awesome. I know this thread is old, but I'm doing this as soon as I get around to it. Probably should figure out why my front fuel tank doesn't send any fuel to the engine first, but this looks more fun than dropping the front fuel tank.

No need to drop the front tank unless you plan to clean it out. We can reach the sender and remove it without dropping the tank. Reach up. Remove the wire harness from the plug. then pull the feed and return line plastic clips and pull off the lines. then a hammer and punch or chisel or screwdriver on the sender to tank ring fastener and lift out the sender suction mess with the float attachment. Caution reinstalling it because there is an alignment pin in the tank opening that must be matched up or the sender wont fit no matter what you do. I found this out the hard way too. Dropping a tank with ANY FUEL IN IT IS TUFF AS HELL. The fuel moves around seeking the low points and throw off the balance lots. But once its out you can drain it ealiy and then refill that fuel too. Never ever try to reinstall a tank with fuel in it. your just making the work harder on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat