Slant nose glow plug upgrade!

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Our old tec write up on this was missing and also lacked in the fact it did not get the glow plug light to work. It is an easy up grade. And make controller problems a thing of the past.
You need a few things to start off:
1-7.3 engine harness( if getting a used one please make sure its a good one. Don't ask!)
2-7.3 glow plug controller
3- 8 shiny new motorcraft glow plugs
4-electrical butt connectors (Scotch lock are the devil, do not use!
5- short wire
6-small amp fuse(fits in fuse box less then 5 amps)

To get started remove ground wire on both batteries. Next unplug engine harness by heater core. Proceed with removal of the engine harness.
Once this is removed, lay it aside. I got lucky and my intake manifold had holes in it for the controller (I had rebuilt heads and new this would be next. I put a 7.3 manifold on. This isn't needed if turboing or turboed trucks.)
Now with the harness out of the way I removed the 6.9 spade plugs and installed the new 7.3 bullet plugs.
Next I wanted to clean the water separator wires out of the 7.3 harness. I hate extra wires laying around. Start running the 7.3 harness on the engine. Plug in glow plugs and sensors.
Now comes the controller. The tec write up on bypassing the controller was handy. It showed how to run my wires. If you are going to do a bypass on the glow plug, DO AT YOUR ON RISK!
Finally plug your harness back in by the heater box.

When I had finished I was so excited! Jumped in the truck and boom! The glow plug light was lite and not working with the controller.
I was not happy. The mother and sisters borrow my truck on occasion and telling them to listen for a click won't work. So this is how I fixed that.
First behind the passenger side battery is the old glow plug relay. You need the black wire with a pink tracer. Run it over to the main engine plug. One the engine side find the black wire with pink tracer. I sniped the wire on the body side and butt connected it tho the one that was on the old relay.
Now we move inside.
Remove dash bezel that has the glow plug light in it. Locate the wires and snip them about 3" away from plug.
Now remove fuse box. Find a blank fuse slot that is ignition hot only. I use a crimp that fit snugly in. The box but also held the fuse tight. I crimped a wire to my crimp and ran the wire with the main harness over to the glow plug light.
This light is a diode so polarity is important! I twister the wires onto the plug and cycled the plugs. When I got the polarity correct I crimped the plug together with my butt connectors.
Put your dash back together and put your fuse box back where it goes. Tie any lose wire up with wire ties.
The only other thing I did was removed the glow plug power wires come the connector by the heater box due to the fact thatthey melt the plug sometimes.

Will edit for pictures

6T9burner

Reaction score
@91idi Did you ever snap any pictures of this? I just upgraded the controller on my 6.9idi. Glow plugs are working, but the WTS is not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online