TIMING MARKS FOR TIMING LIGHTS...Tech 101

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a Tech 101 for those not fortunate enough to own or have access to a Kent Moore J33300 type of meter similar one or the Snap-On one either.

I STRONGLY encourage anyone that is going to do this to read the following article and adhere to all the safety precautions.

this is the article on PHYSICAL IP timing and making adjustments at the IP and can be found here.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59907-IP-Adjustment-for-timing-purposes&highlight=

Between the above thread and this one you should be able to use the following tools to time your engine properly.

Al

Gary's Kent Moore timing meter vid can be found here in this thread on page 3 for those needing it.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?45766-Engine-How-To-Video/page3

What you need for doing timing via this method, is a timing adapter that either clamps, or uses Luminosity Probe, for the sake of the ease of timing; the consensus is to use a PULSE type of adapter.

A Snap-On version can be seen here...this is an example of what is needed and not an endorsement for the snap-on product there are other types as well.
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=675494&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

If you do not have an adjustable timing light you can use timing tape as shown here
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...01-TIming-tape-and-timing!&highlight=TECH+101

Or you can use an adjustable timing light similar to the one here, again an example only not endorsement of the product/brand
http://equus5568.com/

FOR THE PURPOSE OF SIMPLICITY THE

HARMONIC BALANCER in this article is also known as the engine DAMPENER
BOTH TERMS ARE ONE AND THE SAME IN THIS PICTUTORIAL!

So Down to TIMING MARKS for the pulse method with a variable timing light....

First the Harmonic Balancer and timing marks/tab on the timing gear cover!
You must be registered for see images attach

Zero degree mark on timing tab

Here you can clearly see the timing mark on the balancer/dampener that I point too with a zip tie

Another view...I used RED paint pen in the groove which is the actual timing line .... and white paint pen on edges to highlight the marks for illustration purposes

For timing these engines with a PULSE sensor and an ADJUSTABLE TIMING LIGHT, preset your advance on your timing light to 9 - 9.5 degrees. Run your engine and set RPM to 2000 RPM, then when you trigger the timing light the marks should look as in the image below. If not, turn off engine and adjust IP either retard or advance as required. Again I refer you to this article for information on the setting of the IP and how to know advance / retard and so forth. PLEASE ADHERE to all safety warnings.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?59907-IP-Adjustment-for-timing-purposes&highlight=

This image clearly shows the two timing marks lined up for 0 Degrees as described above.

For TIMING METERS such as a Kent Moore J33300 or J33300A, and you have a magnetic pick up then this is the hole you set mag probe into IIRC...

More info can be had by going to Gary's Kent Moore timing meter vid can be found here in this thread on page 3 then scroll down for the various videos for those needing it.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?45766-Engine-How-To-Video/page3

For now that's All I got till we get some dialoge going, then I'll edit/add/remove pics and info as needed till it's polished like a **** :eek:

Al

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Hey man, thats all effed up. THat 0 with the line through it is really a sideways 1 so that makes it 10 deg cookoocookoocookoo LOL
Sorry man , but I had to do it. Everytime someone goes through a ton of effort to put out an extremely informative post, some yahoo always has to post something completely inane about it, so I figured Id get it out of the way, so you could get on with reality :rotflmao
Nice work ;Sweet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey man, thats all effed up. THat 0 with the line through it is really a sideways 1 so that makes it 10 deg cookoocookoocookoo LOL
Sorry man , but I had to do it. Everytime someone goes through a ton of effort to put out an extremely informative post, some yahoo always has to post something completely inane about it, so I figured Id get it out of the way, so you could get on with reality :rotflmao
Nice work ;Sweet

NICELY DONE .....***** too funny

Thank you

I"m sure we can get that all cleared up with some good info in there to get lots of answers rolled into one simple thread!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
So how do you tell where 8.5 is I don't see other marks like on a gasser.

Voodoo LOL
Actually it is required that you use an advance type timing light. If you are *wanting* to set at 8.5 deg you would set the advance dial or digital setting on the light at 8.5 and then point the light to where the line lines up at 0 and the light compensates internally with a digital delay and flashes at the appropriate time to where the line lineses up at the 0 mark at 8.5 deg, although with the new fuel it will run better and get better fuel mileage ( or rather run like it used to on the old fuel at 8.5 ) at about 9.7 deg btdc

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Thanks, I've been wanting to do this and wasn't sure how as I've got a 30yr old timing light so I'll have to upgrade. Sears or somewhere else for the proper light?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay has plenty of digital adjustable timing lites. Robert like to use the craftsman adjustable timing lite. Its smal and fits well. The sky is the limit on what you will pay for one.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks, I've been wanting to do this and wasn't sure how as I've got a 30yr old timing light so I'll have to upgrade. Sears or somewhere else for the proper light?

MSD ignition conducted a test a little bit ago and found that most timing lights fluctuated approaching 2000 rpms ( right where we need them to work ) the ones that consistantly work are teh craftsman, Ferret and MSD( and Ferret makes teh MSD lights) Craftsman would be the lower cost of them. This included older models, so if you have an older craftsman advance light, just use it the things really were shop grade ;Sweet

jlwoods99

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys. I'll see what I can find. Mines a craftsman but not with the advance.

jim

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BUMP...please review my edited Tech101 and let me know what I've missed.

Thanks guys...it's all because of ya'll that this ***** works....and I can make these pictutorials with good clear pics and quantifiable/proven techniques and information.

Al

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thats for the great pics Al... I had forgotten about those... They clearly show the important points about timing these engines. Most probably have no idea the zero mark is where it is on our timing tabs.:thumbsup:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So how do you tell where 8.5 is I don't see other marks like on a gasser.

Voodoo LOL
Actually it is required that you use an advance type timing light. If you are *wanting* to set at 8.5 deg you would set the advance dial or digital setting on the light at 8.5 and then point the light to where the line lines up at 0 and the light compensates internally with a digital delay and flashes at the appropriate time to where the line lineses up at the 0 mark at 8.5 deg, although with the new fuel it will run better and get better fuel mileage ( or rather run like it used to on the old fuel at 8.5 ) at about 9.7 deg btdc

MSD ignition conducted a test a little bit ago and found that most timing lights fluctuated approaching 2000 rpms ( right where we need them to work ) the ones that consistantly work are teh craftsman, Ferret and MSD( and Ferret makes teh MSD lights) Craftsman would be the lower cost of them. This included older models, so if you have an older craftsman advance light, just use it the things really were shop grade ;Sweet

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll see what I can find. Mines a craftsman but not with the advance.

jim

Just bumping this thread and linking in the timing tape thread....NO need for advance light...timing tape is cheaper and works well...and is way easy too!

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...01-TIming-tape-and-timing!&highlight=TECH+101

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Thanks Al for bumping up these pics and all you have done with timing pics.....:hail:hail:thumbsup::love::sly

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online