Cracking WMO into Diesel Like Fuel

wmoguy

Reaction score
Has anyone tried "cracking" WMO before?

I'm thinking about trying to do this with a WMO heater I"m building. I've seen some Youtube videos of this being done and the concept is very much like a still. Anyone have info on how to do this successfully?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How hot does this process need to be for the oil to "boil" off??
If this process kinda follows a still, then the bigger particles stay in the "bottom"?? right??
Sounds like another good way to get rid of the crud.
What kind of search do you do on YouTube to find these videos??

FordGuy100

Reaction score
It is exactly like a still. The problem is at different temperatures, different forms of fuel will come out. You have to be very precise in the temperature. If its to high, or to low, it can produce something that isn't close to diesel.

This is how crude oil is turned into different petroleum products. They heat the oil up to temp, and then you take the steam coming off of it and condense it. At certain temps, the steam will produce a different product. The higher the temp of the steam, the smaller the molecules, therefore lighter the product. Same thing happens underground. Source rock rich in hydrocarbons is under pressure and temperature underground. The higher the temperature, the more so that that area will produce lighter oil/gas. The lower the temp the higher probability to produce actual oil.

This gives you a good idea:

http://www.elmhurst.edu/~chm/onlcourse/chm110/outlines/distill.html

Last edited:

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Now I havent done much reading on it. But I would think the temperature you have to heat the oil is pretty darn high...couple hundred degrees minimum.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to get WMO up to 500/750 degrees and it will make clean diesel fuel, thing is you better make a well built still and a few fail safes, cause at that temperature you just cant put the fire out.
And if oil at 700F comes in contact with oxygen it will make a nice flash explosion.

other than that it is easy...

Javier

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I worked at a ethanol plant the columns they used to get the "proof" up to 200, was under a vacuum to keep the temp down, needed
to evaporate the ethanol further.
Don't remember how much vacuum, but we went around and checked all the flanges for leaks.
Do oil recyclers use this to clean wmo.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Same principle as pulling a vacuum on a AC system, to boil off the water. But then you would have to build a system that constantly pulls a vacuum because as you heat the oil the whole system will want to expand, which would create pressure.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to hyjack, but would using electrolysis of wmo do anything, or has anyone tried it??
I have a mason jar size HHO generator, just a thought, but then again maybe it would take all the "O"
out of the fuel.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
Same principle as pulling a vacuum on a AC system, to boil off the water. But then you would have to build a system that constantly pulls a vacuum because as you heat the oil the whole system will want to expand, which would create pressure.

well JFYI the boiling point of motor oil is about 300 degrees C (flash point is around 280°C) but that can be lowered with vacuum

You would need a decent CFM liquid ring vacuum pump, $$$$ and then on top of that you wold need a condenser, and for the condenser you would need a chiller for a cooling media.... at the end for the $$ to assemble and $$ for the energy to run it, its just easier to dilute WMO wit diesel cookoo

But very important point... The yield of diesel fuel to oil will be very minimal (if any) because the oil has already been cracked

Last edited:

kerrynzl

Reaction score
Has anyone tried "cracking" WMO before?

I'm thinking about trying to do this with a WMO heater I"m building. I've seen some Youtube videos of this being done and the concept is very much like a still. Anyone have info on how to do this successfully?

What they don't show you on Youtube is the feedstock they're using.
They could easily be distilling Diesel from Diesel just to peddle their miracles.

Visbreaking is not "Cracking" , visbreaking occurs at about 370c but it only recovers the fractions in that range.
After visbreaking the desirable portions you are left with "Heavys"

The heavys can be cracked by steam reforming [ or hydrocracking ] at temps above 1000c

If you want to play with steam reforming, you'd be better off making "Blue Water Gas" by using coal. [ siemens process ]

This would burn in a heater really clean.

Kalashnikov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since WMO can be run as is, there is no need to crack it. IMO it's wasted time and fuel. You loose fuel through the process so your 100 gallons may only end up as 80 or 90 gallons.

People have succesffuly done this with plastics and the fuel comes out almost exactly like diesel after I think a few times of running it through the process. Again, you don't get out as much as you put in for fuel.