US Gear Dual Range / Doug Nash Manual?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a owners/service manual for these units? I'd really like to find a copy for reference.

Thanks,
~John

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi John!! Good to see you back from the dead ;Sweet how are things going?

I've been trying to gather the same info as you have, and it's been frustrating to say the least. This is what I've found so far:

http://www.dieselwarden.net/temp/usgear/US Gears overdrive manual.pdf

http://www.dieselwarden.net/temp/usgear/Dual Range.pdf

http://www.dieselwarden.net/temp/usgear/U.S. Gear DR Elec Install.htm

http://www.dieselwarden.net/temp/usgear/U.S. Gear DR Elec Troubleshoot.htm

Hopefully this will help a bit?

I got my hands on an older Doug Nash unit about two years ago but haven't installed it in my truck yet. One of the things I've found is that there was more than one setup, at least electrically...the early Doug Nash units are different from the later DN and U.S. Gear units, and the company that bought U.S. Gear no longer supports any of the units.

Here's a bit of a discussion on the electrical system from when I bought mine: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?39326-It-followed-me-home-can-I-keep-it ...maybe it'll help? In any event, for various reasons, I haven't installed mine yet...so please keep updating on your progress ;Sweet

Thanks!!

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, back running around on the diesel forums. Got sidetracked for a while....

I'm doing well, wound up in the navy and currently in San Diego. You still have your truck? I've still got my tan 4wd, can't remember if I made it to any meet ups with that rig or if i still had the black ugly thing....

I've got a US Gear with the electonics if there's anything I can help you out with. I'm sure the controller is pretty simple to build. It's just a reversing relay and some controls wired to the shift position switches on the box.

I've been working on this project for years.... i think I got it in 06 or so? Came on a F250 I bought out of Petaluma I think? Had a blown C6 and a US Gear, I threw another C6 in, sold the truck and kept the box.... had it floating around since. One big problem it that's it a 2wd box... so no easy fit on the 4x4.

I want to mount it aft of my t-case on the 4wd.... I'm getting closer, I found out that the 1356 slip yoke cases use an output shaft that's the same 31 spline as the t-case input shaft, so the shafts will fit and the case already has a bolt on flange on the rear of the case. I finally got a 1356 to play with a few weeks ago, (not quite how I planned, it was a grab and go attempt to fix the truck when my 1345 died at exit 368 on I5 NB memorial day weekend.... but that's another story) and I'm looking at the fit now. The shafts fit so now I'm looking at fabricating an adapter. I've got a plan to build one out of aluminum (since I know have a TIG setup) the current hold up is the machining that's going to be required... i don't have a big enough lathe. I'm also concerned with the size and weight of the entire assembly, it's going to require some exhaust pipe and floor board remodeling from the looks of things, plus I don't like the driveline angles. Might have to drop the trans mount down a bit, but then that affects the entire engine angle and might cause turbo piping/firewall issues. And at the moment I'm concerned that I've got some sort of mechanical engine issue to fix first.... sigh.

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too am still tempted to pick up a US gear 2wd box. Maybe a 2wd aux box tail housing could be milled shorter and an adapter plate welded to it to accept the 1356 bolt pattern?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I may not have been clear. I'm putting the 2wd USG box behind the t-case. The OEM USG install for 4wd is between the trans and t-case, however this would require a different tailhousing and output shaft on the US Gear. Also you wind up modifying both drivelines, front fuel tank, cap floor, and t-case shifter.

It might be possible to modify the USG tailhousing to fit, but the big problem is the shafts.... no easy way to make it work.

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol you clearly said aft of the t-case! It was just late when I was reading it!

Well I have a connection at ProFab (the guys who make pulling truck/tractor boxes). I bet I could get some insight on the output shaft. After that, I should be able to handle the machining.

Guess I'll just have to get the US gear box in my hands. ;)

And with my CC, no need to modify the gas tank or bed at all!

Sorry for the thread jack, I'll update my US gear thread if anything else develops!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online