Superchared diesel inside here...

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Some have been following my post on my total rebuild, and requested I start a new thread when I got the supercharger on and running. Well...I did that and now I have to ask myself if it was worth it. Short answer, no. However, this is not something that I built to set land speed records, I just want it for a hauler, hunter, 4 wheeler, and tow...er.

Long and short, I have not been able to seal the hat to the intake yet so there is boost escaping. It has boost through the RPM range and you can tell at times it makes more of a seal than others because you will be driving and it feels like you turned on a Snow system or something. None the less, it is only a few psi (probably less than 5) as it sits. I put the top on the intake and fired it up without the bolt holding it down. It makes pressure through the bolt hole at all RPM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTnlCvLJwlI&feature=youtu.be

This is just a short vid of it running. The timing is too far advanced from the sounds of it but I will get it right in a few days. Now, I will try to find a larger crank pully and as small of a pully as I can find for the SC to see if I can speed it up any. So, I have to ask myself if it is better to spin the SC a bit faster, or if messing with that would be throwing good money after bad since I picked up a powerstroke turbo and saw Pedro (I think that was his name) have good results with that...but that was more than I was looking for.

First drive impressions...not that much different than NA. The off line pull is better, but it has been months since I have driven it so I am not even sure how much better.

I also added hydroboost. For those on the fence, DO IT. You will go from a 6" pedal travel to about a 1" pedal travel, and it stops like a dream.

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I have never seen a supercharged 7.3 before. What made you go supercharged instead of turbo charged?

Glad to hear about the hydroboost. I am planning that as my next upgrade. Hopefully I can get it done next week because it is supposed to be in the 70's.

wmoguy

Reaction score
very nice! You have a lot of work into that, I dig the uniqueness! :thumbsup:

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
That looks great! I would love to see it work out and be worth your time! Did you do a write up on this?

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Eaton, the reason for the SC was that I have some just lying around. I am pretty mechanically enclined (took the test for college and impressed them) so building something is not too much out of the ordinary for me. Most of the time, I lack the tools to do the job, not the knowledge. I can get most stuff I want, but purchasing a lathe to make a new pully is kind of out of the question.

Oldbill, I am sure it is less than 5 as it sits. Now, with that, I can upgrade to the newer style blower to see if that helps, but again, that comes down to how much time I want to spend. Since I now have a PS turbo, I could easily put the pulleys back to stock and put a turbo on it....OR, I could make twin charged. BUT, I am only trying to make this a better vehicle, not make it some sort of powerhouse that could out tow a chipped and pumped D-Max.

Bighonker, I will get the link from my other thread. It is called "Alright...my turn". I will edit and post it here for ya. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33447&page=12

SWS

Last edited:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Thats a pretty sweet looking setup, hope you get what you're after out of it.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
by the way that SC sounds its not spinning fast anough to give any real boost. those SC are good for some real nice boost numbers. if i were you id get some different pulleys, and also send me a 95 M90 SC.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya you definitely need to speed it up man!! After you do, it will be a night and day difference I'm sure. You can tell its not spinning fast enough cus you can't hear the SC very well at idle and it isn't even super loud when you rev it. But non the less it looks so good!!

Also as for the leak, what about using some silicone to seal it? It seals up engines pretty well so it should work for that. IMO it should work.

And twin charging would be really cool to. I forget, do you have studs? You could push the combo up to 20psi and still be safe and you would get really good performance. The best of both worlds. But anyway, thanks for the video and I look forward to the driving videos and future results as you get it going better.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
I know I need to speed it up. The problem is finding a pulley small enough to make it worth the time. I looked today and see that I cant run too much more on the crank pulley since it is fairly close to the water pump pulley. I THINK my pulley is 3" on the crank, but it is a 93 so it should be like 2.7 or something clsoe to that. I need one about 2" to make it worth my time, OR, if there is like a BBC pulley that is near an inch bigger than what we have, that would make it close.

On top of that, today I recieved my silicone 90* coupler in the mail. So I drilled the top to accept the seal from the factory setup. So with that (more than likely) sealed, I added some pookey to the bottom of the hat. That should take care of all of the leaks except for the gauge port that is now drilled. Should have a gauge within the next few hours.

SWS

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have you turned up the fuel yet? and please post up some good pics of it, i want to see everything

Last edited:

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very cool mounting location. I would figure out what diameter driven pulley you need and have somebody turn one for you on a lathe. I'm guessing it's just a slotted keyway, which somebody could easily broach (especially aluminum).

Good luck, looks like a neat set up that should make lots of torque with the right boost and fuel ;Sweet

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work but that Eaton is way too small! :D Those Eaton M90's came on a 3.8L V6 gassers. I've seen guys running two of them on a 5.0L gasser. Running a single one on a 7.3L has to be choking that engine.:D

You need a couple M112's off a Lightning/Cobra or GT500. Then you'd be able to make a little boost.;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin