Register to remove these ads

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Selector Valve Nightmare

Thanks

Default Fuel Selector Valve Nightmare

I recently replaced most of my fuel system. The injection pump had been failing (no hot starts unless you have a cold damp rag to cool it), and I decided to replace the injectors and lift pump, as well as fuel filter o-ring(was leaking). A few months ago I took off the bed and replace my broken-off tank pickups with diesel rated hose. Well, after replacing the fuel system, I could not get fuel to the injection pump. I could refill the filter and it would run off of that until it died. I just about killed 2 batteries trying to purge air from the lines. At that point, I didn't know if I had a problem at the lift pump, or further back, but I stumbled accross the carrier pump thread and decided to buy one (I'd wanted to go electric for a while.) Got the pump plumbed(3/8" fuel line from the fsv) and wired up, and it works fine, except I still have no fuel to the pump. I let it pump for about 2 minutes, fiddling with the tank selector switch in the cab, meanwhile, the fuel selector valve got very hot.

Not wanting to damage the new pump, I turned the key off, and here we are. Hot FSV, no clicking when I switch between tanks, the fuse is intact, and the valve made a clicking sound but still got hot when I initially tried to purge the air(with the mechanical lift pump.) I've got a feeling the Fuel selector valve is bad, or became plugged, or something, but I wanted to get some more opinions on this.

If it is the fuel selector valve, does anyone have an updated part number? I got E7TB-9F271-AA, but it appears to be obsolete.

Thanks,
    Peter A.
    1989 Ford F250 XL Standard Cab 4x4, 126,*** miles--7.3l, ZF-5 with SMF, 4:10's. Facet Duralift, Rebuilt IP, New Injectors, Mechanical Gauges Walker Muffler with 3" Tailpipe. And a Magical Blue Cloud of Smoke that follows me around. Damn Valve Guides.

Thanks

My FSV recently took a dump. The fun part is when they get stuck like mine did, not only can they pull out of one tank and return it into the other, there's no telling which tank the gauge is reading.
    I put some manual valves in place of the stock setup. Cheaper and way more reliable.
    Mike

1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW, originally a Gasser/Auto truck. Now Sportin':
    7.3IDI, ATS 088 Turbo, PSD Intercooler, York On Board Air, ZF-5, Lucky Mod, 4.10 gears, Hydroboost, Air bags in rear, 3" Straight Pipe, 35" Mud Terrains, Carter electric fuel pump run parallel to stock lift pump, Manual Fuel selector valves, Custom gauge cluster, Explorer OHC, Coolant Filter, Group 31 Batteries, 4/0 Battery Cables, 3G alternator, Windstar electric fan conversion, Clutch Linkage Heim Joint Mod, Headlight Relay Mod, Running Light Relay Mod, Manual GP's

Gearing up for a SAS....

Intercooler Thread
    Windstar Electric Fan Thread
    Fuel System Thread
    RDT into exhaust Fail

2006 Home Made Harley

Thanks

I'd consider manual valves as well. How did you set that up, and what parts did you use?
    1989 Ford F250 XL Standard Cab 4x4, 126,*** miles--7.3l, ZF-5 with SMF, 4:10's. Facet Duralift, Rebuilt IP, New Injectors, Mechanical Gauges Walker Muffler with 3" Tailpipe. And a Magical Blue Cloud of Smoke that follows me around. Damn Valve Guides.

Full Access Member
    Thanks

They can get pieces of crap stuck in them also. Mine got some pieces of the old showerhead in it and made my life miserable till I found the problem.
    87 F-350 Standard Cab 6.9 with Hypermax Pulse Turbo T-19 4X4 Dana 60 Front Axle 10.25 Rear Axle. Way too many mods to list with more on its way
    91 F-350 Crew Cab Dually Flatbed With Front Push Bumper 7.3 E40D 4X2 10.25 Rear Axle . Its big, slow, ugly, and heavy to boot
    84 Bronco 429 SROD 4-Speed 4X4 Dana 44 Front Axle 9 Inch Rear Axle Posi's In Both Axles. My play toy
    94 F-350 Crew Cab 4X4 SRW 7.3 IDI with factory turbo E40D automatic. Currently waiting on a new body.
    01 Excursion 4X2 7.3 Powerstroke.
    The work truck. Gets way too many miles put on it.
    08 F250 CCSB 4X4 V10 gas engine.
    The pretty truck. Momma wanted something nice to be seen in.

Thanks

Is there a way to clean them out? When I had the lift pump off, I ran low pressure air back through the lines, and could hear the air going into both tanks.

Thanks

Just changed my FSV on my Motor Home but it's a gasser with the pumps in the tank. It's a motorized FSV. There are some with non-motorized FSV's. I'll check the Ford part number on it tomorrow, see if it's the same number you listed. Then I can help you maybe. Both FSV's are available from Azone. One is $79 motorized the other is $49. If you would need the six pin connector it's $13. Here is Azone below. Ford wanted $329 for the valve. Whoa nelly.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...0_173086_5320_
    A fart is just a turd blowing it's horn for the rightaway.

You said what?
    I'm not Crazy, my Mother had me tested!

"99.5 F350 7.3 PSD 4R100 CC LB 4X4 DRW 4:10 Centurion Conv.
    ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

"92" F350 7.3 IDI CC LB DW E4OD US Gear O/U 4:10 Gauges EGT--Boost--Trans.Temp--Banks turbo White Knight

AutoEnginuity with Ford Enhanced.

My mind works lightening fast.
    One FLASH and it's gone forever.

Thanks

I got the valves from McMaster-Carr for just under $50 shipped. Add about another $20 for brass fittings to connect all the fuel lines, then some diesel rated fuel line to extend the lines from where the FSV was to the new valves. I mounted the valves through the cab floor, just to the left of the driver's seat. I'll try to snap some pics of it in the morning.
    Mike

1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW, originally a Gasser/Auto truck. Now Sportin':
    7.3IDI, ATS 088 Turbo, PSD Intercooler, York On Board Air, ZF-5, Lucky Mod, 4.10 gears, Hydroboost, Air bags in rear, 3" Straight Pipe, 35" Mud Terrains, Carter electric fuel pump run parallel to stock lift pump, Manual Fuel selector valves, Custom gauge cluster, Explorer OHC, Coolant Filter, Group 31 Batteries, 4/0 Battery Cables, 3G alternator, Windstar electric fan conversion, Clutch Linkage Heim Joint Mod, Headlight Relay Mod, Running Light Relay Mod, Manual GP's

Gearing up for a SAS....

Intercooler Thread
    Windstar Electric Fan Thread
    Fuel System Thread
    RDT into exhaust Fail

2006 Home Made Harley

Thanks

Info on the FSV.
    The motorized FSV, actually has a motor in it that drives a screw up and down by reversing polarity, to open and close the ports from rear to front. The un-motorized FSV is solenoid driven, shifting a valve up and down. Within the housing there are contacts to indicated which tank for the fuel gauge. The connector is marked 1-2-3-4-5, or A-B-C-D-E-F, ONLY five pins are used on the letter connector, the number connector is only a five pin connector. 1-2 or A-B drives the motor or solenoid, 4 or D is common to the fuel guage, 3 or C should be from the rear tank if that is the main tank, 5 or E is front tank. When hooking up 1-2 or A-B if pumping from the wrong tank those wires can be reversed to pump from the correct tank.
    The motorized FSV normally has a Bat handle toggle switch, which is special, the solenoid FSV is dash mounted "push switch", don't know the correct name for it. Either FSV will work on a diesel, mounting may be different.

You said what?

ScanGaugeII SPDiesel Performance Module 40-60-80 HP -- A Pillar - Boost - Pyrometer - Trans.Temp. - Engine Oil Temp.GN Hitch 20K -- Reese 16K 5er Hitch - Draw Tite Brake Control - Aux. Trans. oil cooler - 100 Gal. Transfer Flow fuel tank, W/Trax II computer. DIY black bed liner. Red Knight

"92" F350 7.3 IDI CC LB DW E4OD US Gear O/U 4:10 Gauges EGT--Boost--Trans.Temp--Banks turbo White Knight

9. The Following User Says Thank You to OLDBULL8 For This Useful Post:

Desert Diesel Dog (02-16-2014)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Petri317 View Post
    Is there a way to clean them out? When I had the lift pump off, I ran low pressure air back through the lines, and could hear the air going into both tanks.
    I took my old FSV apart just to see how it works, drill the rivets crimped side, just enough to free them, there is snaps on two sides that hold it together, just unsnap it and lift the hose connection side up, DON'T move anything so it goes back together right. On the motorized FSV, the motor shaft has a flat on one side that goes into the bar with the contacts on it. If you screw it up or down count the turns so it will go back together in the correct position. Any debris in the ports can be removed then. If there is debris in any port it can partially shift, this is what causes the wrong tank to fill from the return line. Mark one side so the port's go back on the same way. You can use a small screw in place of the rivets when going back together. Oh, and when you remove the fuel lines the source "suction" 3/8" lines will siphon the fuel, don't get wet.
    Last edited by OLDBULL8; 08-18-2011 at 12:46 AM.

You said what?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to OLDBULL8 For This Useful Post:

Desert Diesel Dog (02-16-2014)

Thanks

Just ditch the FSV and get manual valves and plumb it in with JIC fittings. You can get JIC pushlock fittings real reasonable these days.
    Here's a nice 4 way manual valve ( 4 way in case you decide to add an extra tank) that will most likely outlast your truck. It mounts easily beside the seat on the floorboard. You need 2, one for feed and one for return. 5/16 is fine for line size as that is the size of teh line going back to your tanks, you only have 3/8 up near the engine ( actual id chokes down to 1/4" in a lot of places on the factory setup )
    '92 f350 cc dually, 5 sp+ 3 speed Spicer 5831 Brownie , Solid Flywheel & Kevlar Clutch, 7.3 ATS turbo, Hypermax Cowl Induction, Custom Aluminum Rodney Red Radiator,Evan's waterless coolant,Zero pressure system, MS Tech Fan Clutch, 16" & 10" electric pusher fans,Derale Electra-cool remote oil cooler, 4" exhaust,Dual Facet Duralift E-pumps, 150 Gallon bed tank from a Volvo semi, Amsoil bypass filter w/ Amsoil 15w-40 Diesel and Marine , Victor Reinz gaskets , Western Hauler bed, Warn M12000 winch, Per Lux fog Lights, Borgeson steering shaft, 1" hockey puck lift,Rear air conditioning, Air seat, Onboard air system with rear air bags with automatic level control,West coast mirrors, Bilsteins

* Life is like a crap sandwich... The more bread you've got, the less crap you have to eat

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Brimmstone View Post
    They can get pieces of crap stuck in them also. Mine got some pieces of the old showerhead in it and made my life miserable till I found the problem.
    x2

It was a source of fantom problems that three professional mechanics couldn't figure out. Also, left me stranded on the side of the road in -25F weather several times.

Not cool.

Thad
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee67/dakotajeep/034.jpg

2003 F350 6.0 Lariat Crewcab 4x4 SRW High Idle Mod, X Code Front Springs and 285/75 16's BFG All Terrains
    172,000 miles and counting

SOLD
    1987 F250 6.9 C6 2WD 4.10's Regular Cab

SOLD
    1994 F350 XL Crewcab 4x4 SRW 7.3 E4OD Banks Turbo

They're like the freakin' IDI Ghostbusters. -mankypro

Thanks

An update on the great parts search:

My part seems to be the FSV with solenoids, as opposed to the older syle.

I went to the local ford dealer and gave them the E7TB-9F271-AA part number. It is obsolete, and has been updated a few times. F4TZ-9189A is still in the system, and retails for $154.55, but apparently is also obsolete. The most current part number is 6C3Z9189A and it retails for a whopping $320 and change. No way in hell I'm paying that. Gaudin Ford(Silver State Ford Parts.com) quoted me $226 + $30 shipping for their internet price. The parts department at Napa ford gave me a list of dealers that may have the F part number still, so the hunt continues.

If this fails, I may go the generic+adapter plug route, or say F*** it and go with manual valves. I'd really like to retain the original dash-switched system, though.

On a sidenote, someone may want to add these part numbers to the parts bin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Petri317 View Post
    An update on the great parts search:

My part seems to be the FSV with solenoids, as opposed to the older syle.

I went to the local ford dealer and gave them the E7TB-9F271-AA part number. It is obsolete, and has been updated a few times. F4TZ-9189A is still in the system, and retails for $154.55, but apparently is also obsolete. The most current part number is 6C3Z9189A and it retails for a whopping $320 and change. No way in hell I'm paying that. Gaudin Ford(Silver State Ford Parts.com) quoted me $226 + $30 shipping for their internet price. The parts department at Napa ford gave me a list of dealers that may have the F part number still, so the hunt continues.

If this fails, I may go the generic+adapter plug route, or say F*** it and go with manual valves. I'd really like to retain the original dash-switched system, though.

On a sidenote, someone may want to add these part numbers to the parts bin.
    He's spot on.
    I just verified with my Ford parts house on this. $320 is list.
    i'll make the changes in the parts bin later on today.
    1992 F350 4x2 CC 7.3 ZF5 4.10LS DRW ATS(series 093) Intercooled & Hydrostop'd......the CSS "Nostromo"
    1988 F350 4x4 SC 7.3 ZF5, GV 4.10LS DRW D60/10.25...the T-ARS "Sulaco"
    1988 F250 4x4 SC 7.3 ZF5, 3.55LS SRW 10.25/D50.....the T-ARS "Brentwood"
    1986 F350 4x4 RC 7.3 C6 4.10LS DRW D60/10.25Vulcan 876 Super Cradle
    1986 F350 4X4 RC 7.3 T-19 4.10 DRW D60/10.25 Vulcan 862 Wheel lift ARS "O'neil Forebay"
    1989 F450 4x2 RC 7.3 ZF5 5.13 D80 Century 17ft alu carrier
    1990 F450 4x2 RC 7.3 E4DOA 5.13 D80 Century 441xl wheel lift
    1985 GMC K2500 4x4 Suburban 6.5 turbo thm700 "Burb-O-matic"

There are 3 kinds of people in this world.
    The wise, learn from the mistakes of others.
    The smart, learn from their own mistakes.
    The others, well......they just never learn.

according to Jason Thompson, I must be one of the 15. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-F250-Pr...-/171293233755
    If you are one of the 15 people left on the planet who love IDI's or just want a piece of diesel history this is the truck for you.
    For those who are interested in the impending changes for diesel trucks(with a GVWR of 14,001/lbs and above) owned and operated in Kalifornia Jan 1, 2015, please click on this link.. http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onrdiesel/onrdiesel.htm (updated 9/14)

Thanks

Get the cheap one at Azone. It'll work, if it don't then return it.

You said what?

Thanks

Another quick update: The F4TZ-9189A part number is all but gone. I called 5 different dealers and managed to buy one from Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park, KS, but it looks like the gold-plated 6C3Z9189A is the only offering from ford.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast