Fuel Selector Valve Nightmare

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, I probably should have stated right up front rather than having it buried in the message is that this is a 2005 Excursion with 6.0 in it. It already has a 40+ gallon tank, I just want a lot more than that, and this is the only solution I have found. And, it is going to cost me over $2000 for the tank and filler neck alone, so $2-300 for the transfer switch is no biggie to me at this point. I would like it to appear (and Operate!) as OEM as possible, so I was wondering if in 2005 they had double tanks on the F250HD/350s that this truck is based upon, and if I could scrounge the boneyards or online to get most of the parts I need to install this and make it appear almost an OEM installation? I doubt anyone has done this before, so I am going to be the guinea pig, but, How Hard Can It Be? ;-) lol

At least the tank and the filler are designed to work together, and they are bolt in pieces. Well, the tank anyways, got to get the hole saw out for the filler neck. The rest of it is all up to me, but since this thing is based upon the F series, that should hopefully make it at least a _little_ more doable... Hopefully. But, I guess I will find out, because I am going to do it. Another 40 gals of fuel will be a great thing on a road trip.

alha,

The dual tank setup died in 97 with the OBS body. When Ford started making the SuperDuty Trucks in 99 and the Excursion in 2000-2005, they ONLY had a single tank. The F-Series Pickup Bed trucks, have a midship tank on the drivers side, and fill from a single filler toward the front of the bed on the drivers side, which allowed them to keep the spare tire mounted under the rear of the truck, like the older trucks do. The Excursion and Cab and Chassis F-Series have the aft mounted fuel tank, between the rear axle and the bumper. The spare is inside the cabin of the Excursion, which allows for the 44 gallon tank stock on them. The C&C got a 30-something gallon tank in the same aft position.

Not sure if you could use an F-series Pickup midship tank, and adapt it to the Excursion.....

You must really rack up the miles wanting that much fuel.... I made a trip this weekend, and I am 550+ miles into this tank, and still have a quarter tank left...... Personally, for what I do, 44 is enough.......

BTW - This is on my 03 Excursion 6.0......

alha

Reaction score
Hi Snicklas, yeah, when on a road trip, I like having the option of skipping a state or 2 for fuel fillups when it is advantageous, especially once fuel gets back up again (which I believe is going to happen sooner rather than later, sadly). Not sure if you had a chance to take a look at the kit I am going to be ordering, but the cool thing about it is that it is under the truck, and the fill door is in the frame of the back door on the drivers side. I am still debating about the 30 vs. 40 gallon size, as I believe that the larger one sticks below the frame and may even be slightly visible from the side, where the 30 gal is designed for 2wd trucks or ones that are lowered.

I just sent them an email asking for a couple pics of the bigger tank installed in a 4wd Ex so I can see what it looks like, if it's too low for my liking, I'll just go with the 30. So... For me now, the bigger issue is not the tank, it's getting all the associated parts, and hooking them up sucessfully. I presume that in 05, the F250/350 had available dual tanks? If so, would you have any suggestions about which vehicle with what options would be the best one to start looking for in terms of wiring, and parts for inside the cab to try and make it appear to be OEM? Thanks for any suggestions you might have for me!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Snicklas, yeah, when on a road trip, I like having the option of skipping a state or 2 for fuel fillups when it is advantageous, especially once fuel gets back up again (which I believe is going to happen sooner rather than later, sadly). Not sure if you had a chance to take a look at the kit I am going to be ordering, but the cool thing about it is that it is under the truck, and the fill door is in the frame of the back door on the drivers side. I am still debating about the 30 vs. 40 gallon size, as I believe that the larger one sticks below the frame and may even be slightly visible from the side, where the 30 gal is designed for 2wd trucks or ones that are lowered.

I just sent them an email asking for a couple pics of the bigger tank installed in a 4wd Ex so I can see what it looks like, if it's too low for my liking, I'll just go with the 30. So... For me now, the bigger issue is not the tank, it's getting all the associated parts, and hooking them up sucessfully. I presume that in 05, the F250/350 had available dual tanks? If so, would you have any suggestions about which vehicle with what options would be the best one to start looking for in terms of wiring, and parts for inside the cab to try and make it appear to be OEM? Thanks for any suggestions you might have for me!

I understand the extra range...........

As said above, the dual tank option on ALL Ford pickups died in 1997 when the OBS body style ended and the release of the 99+ Super Duty body. So the newest truck that Ford offered dual tanks on was a 97. As for a factory switch to look stock, the 87-91 trucks had a switch located in the dash beside the steering column.... wiring, I would say you would be on your own. You may be able to use the factory gauge, and split the input to the dash gauge like the older trucks did...... if you could find a wiring harness for the older trucks that was in good shape, you may be able to use it.....

Here is the 87-97 Dual Tank Factory Switch:

You must be registered for see images attach

alha

Reaction score
Hmm, ok, that is good info to know. I just thought of one thing, do you think that possibly cutaways may have it as an option? I know they aren't exactly considered 'factory', but maybe it was something that was offered on the ambulance or possibly cube box versions of the 350/450s? Pretty much grasping at straws at this point, but as you said, if I can find a decent '97 (geeze, that's now almost 20 years old.. 1997 doesn't seem _that_ long ago...) I might be able to get some of the parts I need. I will also hit Tousleys site to see if I can track down any part numbers for parts of the system, as one never knows what NOS parts may be lurking out there on Fleabay. Thanks for the heads up, I appreciate it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think anything Ford E or F-Series had dual tanks after 97.

I know on the E-Series Full Body vans with the body change in 92 they received a single 30-something gallon midship tank.

The 92+ E-series Cut-Away vans, and he 99+ F-Series Cab and Chassis received a single 30-ish gallon aft tank, mounted in the same location as the Excursion tank.

Now, maybe some upfitter could have offered dual tanks, or maybe Transfer-Flow may have/had offered a dual tank solution, but Ford didn't offer it that I know of.

Same as the pre 99 4x4 Crew Cab Dually with a Pickup Box, these are from a conversion company (Like Centurion) as Ford did not offer that combination pre 99. Or the pre 99 4x4 F-Superduty trucks that were in fire or utility service. These were from upfitters (like Marmon-Harrington) as ALL F-Superduty trucks were 2wd when they rolled off the assembly line.......