Rear orange turn signals.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Well today I got a wild hair and changed some of my wiring around. My rear directional lights are now orange, and are what use to be the reverse lights. And I also added some aux reverse lights.

It looks pretty cool / unique especially at night. Plus I think the orange is easier for the other drivers to see. I did it in a way that's easy to roll back to stock In case the novelty wears off. But for now, its kinda cool.:cool

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
so where the hell is the 'how-to' article, parts list, and most important - pics? c'mon, Rob!;Pissed

i've been wanting to do the aux. reverse light / relay thing for a while, and that gives me fuel for thought.
where'd you put the back-ups? LMC has a nice 'star-lite' bumper w/ 'em recessed.
- your idea takes that up a notch. i was going to put in secondary lites that lit up in reverse, but also available parked & in neutral, or in 5th @ 70mph if i felt the need :Sly

very cool, man. good job.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rob, so are you saying you put yellow bulbs in your reverse lite sockets, and wired the backup lights to be the turn signals, and you now have different lights for reverse? Interesting idea.

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Agnem
Rob, so are you saying you put yellow bulbs in your reverse lite sockets, and wired the backup lights to be the turn signals, and you now have different lights for reverse? Interesting idea.

Yep that’s it in a nutshell Mel. Its a little trickier than it sounds cuz you need to allow the brake lights to operate as per normal, but you don’t want the brake light to flash anymore when the turn signal is on.

I'll try to grab a video clip of a 'light test' tonight so you can see them all work.

Oh, and I'll document the changes I made incase someone wants to perform the same hack.

It is funny when I end up in front of another ford at a stop light with my signal on. The look on the guy’s face is always a little confused.

Last edited:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well I'm sure everybody looks at you truck funny when you're driving around with Faith on the Hood ;p LOL

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
OK, here’s the vid. I run through left turn, right turn, then again with brake lights. Reverse, and then hazards.

It’s a little hard to see, cuz the sun is out. I tried one a night, but my camera could hardly pick anything up. So this will have to do.

Light test

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
FYI, If I'm not mistaken orange lights are meant for front and red lenses for the rear. It personally looks good to me, but a patrolman or the DOT might not think along the same lines...

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty sure the signals in the rear can be orange. I see lots of cars and trucks like this. I think the deal is, you cant have red or blue in the front for anything. and your rear taillights and brake lights have to be red.

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
Your probably right, but the way cops are around here they would make a big deal about it.

Red_Ford_Truck

Reaction score
International turn signals (cars marketed overseas) have red brake lights, and orange/yellow turn indicators. You should not have a problem.

Any cop can get a wild hair, but there would be nothing wrong with this set up per DOT if it were OEM.

The orange/yellow light in front has to do with running lights, like clearence lights and with reflectors.

Cool mod by the way.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most cops around here are just happy if you have a working light. In Ohio, they don't seem to care about that even.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Originally posted by dieseldummy
FYI, If I'm not mistaken orange lights are meant for front and red lenses for the rear. It personally looks good to me, but a patrolman or the DOT might not think along the same lines...

I believe you are mistaken... unless ford put illegal lights in the vans for 4 years :eek:

http://www.samantha.cc/images/Truck/newstuff/new07.jpg

only reason brake lights are ever combined with the blinker is to save money. Imagine how much money ford would save putting 2 less bulbs in each truck.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
only reason brake lights are ever combined with the blinker is to save money. Imagine how much money ford would save putting 2 less bulbs in each truck.

didn't you mean "how much money ford DID save..."?:joker:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online