Smoke out of oil dipstick tube

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
At idle, I noticed some smoke comming out of my oil dipstick tube. There is no physical oil comming out, just blue smoke. Is this normal or a sign of bad rings or internal engine problems? Makes me think it's blow-by and not a normal thing. This is on a 7.3 IDI.

onebadiditurbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
chances ari its blow by and doesnt mean your engine is gonna crater tomorrow it more than likely nothing to worry about as some blow by is to be expected with age

mariobusalacch

Reaction score
ok, this may seem like a stupid q but i gotta ask cause i am nervous now, but I noticed the other day that when the truck was idleing, and I opened the oil fill up tube, smoke was comming out, I didnt think much of it, but is this normal, or is something wrong?

This is after it has been running for a lil bit and the temp was at normal operating temps.

DragRag

Reaction score
I little puffing out the oil fill is fine, if it is like a freight train then you have major blow by, and that means low compression for sure. If you are starting fine, and it is just a little puffing, no big deal then.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Run some Auto Rx. That stuff works miracles. My blow by out the oil fill used to go away at around 1300rpm's. Now it will go away right above idle, maybe 900rpm's ;Sweet

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
The POS we have in my moms crew cab has an evac system into the exhaust, which works as vapor smoke rolls out the tail pipe, but when you open the dip stick and oil fill that thing blows smoke out of them like an old coal train. lol It's alright some motors are meant to die, hopefully I get to be the one to make this one see its end. :D

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dipstick actually incorporates a sealing cap with a rubber gasket. There is a good chance that your dipstick has lost it's rubber content. Blow-by from any port exposing the crankcase to atmosphere is going to be normal. The CDR does create a slight presure in the crankcase, so any oriface with a lower presure is going to be the new outlet for the blow-by.

Mat J

Way down south
Reaction score
on this subject with my oil cap off and idleing i have 0 smoke comming out, but if I shut the engine off alot of smoke will come out for several minutes. is this normal or bad blow by?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
on this subject with my oil cap off and idleing i have 0 smoke comming out, but if I shut the engine off alot of smoke will come out for several minutes. is this normal or bad blow by?

I would say it is normal in your case. One of the first things I did when checking out my truck was pull the oil cap when it was running and there was no blowby at all.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I would say it is normal in your case. One of the first things I did when checking out my truck was pull the oil cap when it was running and there was no blowby at all.

If you really want to check the blow-by, leave the oil cap on and pull the hose off the CDR and check it at the end of the hose. Problem with just taking the oil cap off is that the crankcase is still being vented through the CDR and the intake, so your not getting a true blow-by perspective. Other option is to clamp or plug the CDR hose off and then you could check it at the oil cap leaving that the only place for the blow-by to vent.

diesel high boy

Reaction score
I have the same issue I have over 400 thousand still running good banks sidewinder with holset wheels pump turned up 1 flat with a five speed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bugoo