coolant coming out exhaust?

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so what is it a blown head gasket? or is the dreaded cavitation?

If it is the head gasket how hard are they to change? Any threads with pics and info?

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would guess head gasket first. Be hopeful. If IIRC you will probably need an engine hoist to haul those heads over the fender safely, but head jobs are pretty simple, just time consuming.

LOL just reread my post, guess I should add enjoyable to the list?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is how to tell. Take all your glow plugs out, and drain your oil. Presurize your cooling system, and let it sit. One of two things will happen. You will get coolant running out of the bottom, or flooding out of a glow plug hole. If it comes out of a glow plug hole, your in better shape, then if it runs out of the bottom. Unless you have a cracked piston, water out of the bottom will almost always be cavitation. If it comes out of a glow plug hole, you will know what cylinder has the problem. Bring the piston in that bore to top dead center on the compression stroke. Let it sit again. If more water comes out the glow plug hole, then it is either the head gasket or a cracked head. If it comes out of the bottom, then your back to caviation. Here's hoping your top is wet and your bottom is dry! LOL

:D

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great info guys.

I will go and take a look to see whats up.

How do they fix the cavitation problem anyways? With new cylinder sleeves?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes your old block can be sleeved. The main thing is to get it done by someone who has experience with this.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
you can resleeve a cylinder but you have to make sure the shop does it right. they are a .002 press fit if i remember from the talk, THEY CANNOT BE GLUED IN PROPERLY! the glue does not hold and you don't get proper heat transfer. one guy on another site had 2-3 re manufactured engines fail from the sleeves dropping down.

i have also seen some links to stepped replacement jugs so they cant walk down.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
res0wc18,

You can rent a cooling system pressure tester at most chain auto parts stores. It goes on in place of the radiator cap and has a guage and a small pump that allows you to pressurize the system to the normal operating pressure (what the radiator cap is rated). It also gives you the ability to test the cap also, I believe.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sweet ill check into that asap. I have to pick up my truck this week so i need to get this rolling