U joint yoke..Staps VS. U Bolts

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i use whatever the installed yoke is designed for.
i have no preference over one or the other.

+1 on using whatever the yoke is designed for and installing on cleaned/Loctited threads, properly torqued.

Al, I love the fact that you generally research and upgrade every possible component ;Sweet, but unless you got a pump from the Millenium Moose Falcon and the tires of Bigfoot, I think either one is gonna hold up just fine after you install it correctly.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Explain please?

The big switch to the straps was to prevent the caps from getting crushed and lengthen u-joint life under normal conditions.
U bolts torque is only 15 ftlbs and I have only seen them on oversized caps.
Straps I have messed with are used on standard caps.
Gut feeling tells me something is not going to line up like you expect once the holes are drilled out making the yoke junk.
Unless you putting the driveline to the verge of destruction daily the straps will hold fine. If they fail I would be more inclined to upping to the next series of u-joints.
Seen a few of the implement drivelines with 1480 and 1550 series use straps. Seen failed u-joint, driveshafts, rearends, but the straps are still holding the caps in place.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen many strap style fail off road. The bolts break right at the head, causing failure. And al, is this enough abuse? I beat the hell out of mine. I have broken ubolt style. Lol putting flanges on next.

http://youtu.be/lbg-qS4TaQQ

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on using whatever the yoke is designed for and installing on cleaned/Loctited threads, properly torqued.

Al, I love the fact that you generally research and upgrade every possible component ;Sweet, but unless you got a pump from the Millenium Moose Falcon and the tires of Bigfoot, I think either one is gonna hold up just fine after you install it correctly.

YA might just have just coined the... N E X T ...big Moose pump name in the series there @Agnem

WOO HOO SPACE TRAVEL...

Well the plan....iz abuse and road going capability with the 38" XL's locker n such...

We will see Kaleb says thinks Ubolts in.

I did find the stock straps and bolts sadly and they are pathetic.

Kaleb is a true Parts guy...knows how to use a book a pen a tape a vernier caliper and dig to find what ya need...

I pay more here at Local Napa but service is top tier!!!

Pluz hes an IDIT driver

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watching you pull that chebby out reminds me of a dead weight pull a few years ago. The guy that came in second was a 79 ford 350 with 460 and 38's. That truck was bouncing a foot and a half off the ground all 4 wheels for the entire pull and didn't break anything in the driveline. I walked over and asked him what he was running for u-joints. His reply was "You won't believe this, but they are cheapy Autozone joints." I was floored. The main thing I have learned is to carry a spare especially of the ******* ones that not everybody has readily available. So long as everything fits right, I say go for it Al. My 91 axle had straps. The axle I swapped in has u-bolts. For my pavement queen I think it will matter very little. Like I said, I only brought up the odd ball joints because not everybody realizes there were different joints. I believe I read (maybe on denny's driveline page) that the ******* joint on the rear was done because the ubolts were breaking caps. I don't know if they continued it on the strap yokes or not. The cap walls are just thicker. The u-joint part is exactly the same as the other caps.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I feel ading something about the strap bolts I learned from Travis years ago. Those bolts are the same specially hardened bolts used in the injection pump to gear connection. Commonly sold at Nappa in the universal joint repair kits. When we tighten up those 3 flange bolts for the pump the torque is 25 ft lbs.:eek:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U-bolts for me. Easier to swap one out in the woods than a broken bolt that has to be extracted.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well VERDICT is in

C#@&$ straps it is...U bolts centre to centre does not line up with the strap bolts. IFN had milling machine with a four flute mill I would not care...but drill press and only drill bits I care.

Oh well.

Honestly I prefer U bolts had hoped it would work however nope.

No biggy...juzt a dissapointment is all.

Now to decide....lunchbox locker ...or factory posi lsd

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Lunchbox would give more traction, but I looked through the user manual for the lock right and didn't like what I read. Can't accelerate through/during turns without the truck trying to striaghten out. Acting like have a spool most of the time pretty much, at the worst times anyway. Would be bad for icy roads. I think I'll just go ARB. Wish they made an electric locker for the 10.25"...

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Could always do a girdle.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lunchbox would give more traction, but I looked through the user manual for the lock right and didn't like what I read. Can't accelerate through/during turns without the truck trying to striaghten out. Acting like have a spool most of the time pretty much, at the worst times anyway. Would be bad for icy roads. I think I'll just go ARB. Wish they made an electric locker for the 10.25"...

Ya my concern too and I live in twisty turny stuff...up hill down hill and flat...

Craptastic LSD it likely will be

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online