How to flush out AC condensor?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I know I asked all these questions a while ago, but have absolutely no idea where the thread went.
I remember someone saying something about getting a bunch of medical alcohol or something and flushing the thing out but could someone properly explain it again?
Thanks!

EMD_DRIVER

Say what?!?!
Reaction score
Hey man! RLDSL sent me some PM's, with tons of useful info... Here's some copy/paste info for you...

"It's going to need a new compressor, but you are going to need to take the whole system apart and flush it, including removing the condenser the condenser needs to be out and flat to flush the thing. You'll need a can of refrigerant flush, any parts store carries it by the quart, get a three dollar siphon gun to blow the stuff out of the can and into the hoses or the condenser, or evaporator,you will need to flush each part of the system except the drier and compressor which you will have to replace

Flush the condenser three times to get all the debris out and blow it clean each time. those things are huge it is very hard to get it all out. Evaporator is difficult to get clean too.
Do not use refrigerant oil on the new orings, r134a oil will cause leaks, do a search and get a bottle of Nylog to lubricate and seal the orings"

You can get the variable orifice valve at Advance auto parts, they have another name for it, but it is the same thng.t is sold under a few different names. Advance has it as an adjustable 105 deg + high temp is the one you want if it gets hot there, you don't want the normal one unless you live on the coastal north border for the most part. You can tell me where you live specifically , and I can make a direct recomendation, but for the most part underhood temps get pretty nasty on these things

Remember, repainted....oops, I mean rebuilt compressors are a no-no. they rarely last over a year and new ones are cheaper
I get all my new ones from www.nostalgicairparts.com, and if he doesn't have a specific stock type application , he has an associate company he'll give you a number for that will and they will still have new compressors cheaper than the local parts houses sell rebuilts for.
If you are interested in an up grade, and don't mind whittling away at the core support a bit, he has an oversize modern parallel flow condenser for that thing that will freeze you out. takes a bit of customizing to rig it in though, it would require a trip to an AC shop to have a custom hose made to adapt the size ( I just made my own :D

If you type in a search for siphon gun in the napaonline parts pro se catalog you can see about three options for a decent siphon gun for getting the ac flush into the system parts to clean them. just need the hose to go in the can and the gun to blo into the part then you keep blowiny till it comes out the other end then let it sit a while to let the solvent work, then switch to a rubber tipped blow gun and blow it out till it runs clear. Use eye protection. This is VERY tedious and takes FOREVER. you will need to stop and drain the water valve on your air system or tank a few times to keep from introducing excess water to the ac system while flushing ( I have an extra super duper air drier on mine and I STILL have to )

--------Robert"

tknomaj

Reaction score
denatured alcohol was listed in Kali as legal until r-134a . Then they said no more. Not due to problem with 134a but with alcohol Vapor and Air Quality. Go Figure

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use 91% rubbing alcohol in my big trucks. Cheap and just as effective as the more expensive flushes. Plus it evaporates quickly.;Sweet;Sweet

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I have never had an issue using refrigerant oil on my A/C O-rings. I always use what is in the system(ester, usually).

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
In a similar thread on my Mercedes BBS someone mentioned he used mineral spirits for the flush.

One guy had a (IMO) very good idea.....Since you will replace the orifice tube anyway, remove the old one and drill it out. Then replace it in the system so that when you flush the evaporator, you can work from under the hood, and keep all the mess there, instead of in the cab.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online