Return line system mod.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere around here once about a return line system modification. I don't remember what it said to do, and I could not find the thread anywhere. If someone has the link could you send it to me.

2nd I was thinking of a return system mod where each of the injectors goes to a common point and then back to the tank. Instead of one injector going to the next one, they each have a longer line to a fuel log of sorts with 8 inlets and 1 outlet back to the tank. Any comments on this would be appreciated as it is just an idea that I had. Thanks.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. Someone could always cut to length and make them look nice using spark plug wire harness deals.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere around here once about a return line system modification. I don't remember what it said to do, and I could not find the thread anywhere. If someone has the link could you send it to me.

2nd I was thinking of a return system mod where each of the injectors goes to a common point and then back to the tank. Instead of one injector going to the next one, they each have a longer line to a fuel log of sorts with 8 inlets and 1 outlet back to the tank. Any comments on this would be appreciated as it is just an idea that I had. Thanks.

That's a cool idea. Is there any benefit to it? I guess I mean what do you gain in doing it? Just curious...

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Gain? Well, if you get tired of dinkin' around with the stock filter & head and all their associated BS & probs, you can substitute a Goldenrod head and waterblock filter with about ten minutes of fab time. Cap off the return from the front injector that goes back to the filter head, and presto! no more air in fuel from leaky return lines. You can also go with Tygon transparent yellow return lines between the injectors and from the IP return outlet to the steel tube return to really keep an eye on things. I know that I was the lab rat for this particular little experiment and I can report that after a year and a half the Tygon return lines between the injectors still don't have hose clamps of any kind and they still don't leak... Go figure, right?;Really;Sweet

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
BioFarmer93 I have never heard of a Goldenrod head or Tygon lines. Do you have a website? Also do you have a pic of the mods you did so I can get a visual. Thanks.

Also I cant see of any real gains, except that it if you had a injector stick open like I had 2 in a row do, then you would be safe from blowing the return line off and having fuel go everywhere. Also it would look kinda cool.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score

Attachments

• grf1.jpg
    grf1.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 82
  • grf2.jpg
    grf2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 73
  • tygon1.jpg
    tygon1.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 77
  • tygon2.jpg
    tygon2.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 73

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He has a pretty spiffy setup. Looks like controlled chaos but it all works and serves a reliable purpose lol.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I like the fuel lines. I may have to get myself some of that Tygon line. But the controlled chaos is a bit to much for me. I just may do the fuel log thing and give a review on that. But I will have to modify 7 of the 8 return line caps. Not sure what the best way to do that is. If anyone has any ideas let me know.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was joking about the chaos. There are all sorts of goodies under the hood of his truck.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
jaed,

On the factory turbo, there is at leat one cap that has only 1 hose from it. It dies not pass through, it is the one on the pass. side rear. There may be more that one that way, they routed the lines differently on the turbo version, vs the N/A ones. You may be able to use one of those, if you look at the last picture that BioFarmer posted, that is the style I am talking about. Russ/typ4 may be able to help you out on those, I know he sell return kits... Good luck with this mod!!!!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don't know why a lot of trucks have such a bad time with air intrusion. The fuel supply to the injectors is such a simple circuit. The proper size fuel hose coupled with the cap size, and using the proper size spring clamps should give an air free system with that part of the fuel supply. Now, air intrusion can be from a poorly maintained suction and delivery to the IP. The way the fuel circuit is designed, is to return most of the fuel pumped back to the filter at #1 cyl., this helps to maintain a higher pressure to the IP if the return line back to the tank goes thru an orifice at the tank return line thru the tee at #8 cyl., in effect pressurizing the fuel supply to the injectors and IP if the lift pump is functioning at the pressure it is designed for, usually 7-8 psi. Naturally a very dirty filter will effect that pressure. My two IDI's have never had a problem with air intrusion. My tests show a 5-6 psi at about 60-65 MPH with an office in the tank return line, without an orifice the pressure will drop to 3-4 psi. The hose size below is the ID from cap to cap. The suction line to the LP is 3/8" ID and return line to tank is 5/16" ID. The tee orifice is 1/8" IIRC.

Attachments

• fuel circuit..jpg
    fuel circuit..jpg
    343.9 KB · Views: 57

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online