Remote turbo??(I know the subject has been beat to death)

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, after seeing the thread on the compound turbo, I would like to try to remote mount a turbo under my truck and run just the one, I have a holset off a 89 cummins 5.9, do you think a 6.9 would spool one of these? If so where can I buy replacement parts( needs a compressor wheel) I consider myself a good fabricator and I dont think that I would have any problem with the pipeing, just seems like a great idea,(and cheeper too) thanks for the input. -Brad-

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few years ago, they came out with remote turbos for camaros that took the place of the muffler. I thought it was a great idea, but I dont think it really took off. I'd say go for it. The only thing that I can see being a problem is getting oil to and out of the turbo. With that much extra pipe, you probibly wont need an intercooler with all the surface area in the piping.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Isnt heat a big factor on spooling up turbos. If thats the case, you would have lots of turbo lag becuase your EGT's will be lower that far from the motor.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i have been thinking of this to, if could mount a turbo off of the y pipe and let the exhaust continue back as normal. i would also run a pipe up to the front to a inter cooler, then just run one pipe to the intake. it would leave your whole engine open to work on and would probably be much cheaper. i dont think there would be much turbo lag since right off the y pipe would probably actually be shorter than all the up pipe work, not to mention not having to deal with firewall issues........

i havent gotten under my truck yet to see if i could even do this yet but it has gotten my brain working and not let me fall asleep a couple of times.:D

so what would be a good recommended turbo if we could pick what we want? powerstroke? some t4 combo?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
If you had that much pipe running from the turbo to the intake, I would think that you really wouldnt need a turbo. If you used some aluminum piping and kept it away from the heat of the engine, I would thing that it would cool the boost some, but not as much as a intercooler.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know STS turbo systems make these for all kinds of vehicles. The turbos mount under the car or truck and they say its better far as heat on the turbo bearings being that more cooler air is flowing around the turbos. Also on some models eliminates the need for IC's like said above. The length of pipe back to the intake is also cooled down some. But you do loose some boost also.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO they are junk and do not make good power in close to stock situations.
there is a guy with a 1996 Tbird with one, he makes a touch under 250wheel horsepower. a stock Tbird puts down around 170Whp. im to specific on his specification on his motor and some other things and such, but i know his is mounted under his rear bumper, witch is a WAYS from the motor

and if you have the room in the engine bay, why put it anywhere else? ya know what i mean?

and turbo bearings take alot to fail, turbo's seem to be extreamly durable and resilient to failure

you would lose overal turbo heat, but maybe gain more lag?

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
turbofiend,

There is some truth in what you say, particularly with respect to hi performance cars--applications where you are on the pedal, then on the brake, and then back on the gas pedal--is those situations, a turbo far from the engine is a poor compromise. Especially if they mount it back by the rear bumper.
However, on our trucks, I think a turbo by the end of the Y pipe is not too bad of a compromise. We are interested in pulling-- like a heavy load, up a long hill. Turbo lag doesn't really matter in such situations.
Just my 2 cents....

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wouldn't the actual distance be about the same on the hot side but longer on the intake side & if boost is lower how about a stroke turbo with a waste gate adjusted down those turbos are plentiful & cheap no?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really don't think there would be that much of an efficiency loss if the turbo is kept in the neighborhood of the trans cross member. The reason I think this, is that if you took an up pipe to say, a Hypermax Pulse Turbo, and streightened it out, I think it would be long enough to reach from the exhaust manifold to the trans cross member easily. You'd get a slight intercooler effect with the longer cold air pipe as well. Try it and prove how it works!

subway

Reaction score
and if you have the room in the engine bay, why put it anywhere else? ya know what i mean?

QUOTE]

what i was thinking of was just off the y pipe nothing near my rear bumper. i could see several advantages off hand like i mentioned above.

1. more room to work on the turbo itself
2. i would have much more room to work with on top of the engine. i dont have a turbo but i hear people complaining of how much of a pain they are to work on and around with them in place.
3. i wouldent have to beat the lip on the fire wall or install a body lift if i dont feel like it.
4. cooler under hood temps?
5. even though the intake pipes might be a bit longer (not sure that would matter much they run from the back of the engine to begine with stock) the exhaust should be shorter since it dousent have to wrap back up the back of the engine.

i could see some disavantages
1. how do i run the intake pipe up to the front from underneath the truck
2. would i leave my trubo exposed completely to the element....salt, dirt, hitting dead animals.
3. pumping the oil back up from the turbo, i know we can use the lift pump but it hasent been proved out long term yet.
4. where do you put the intake filter?
5. how would i hard mount the turbo with engine and exhaust flex

again i am no turbo expert and more could pop up if i actaully dove into the project but it still holds my interest.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
I'm working on a remote setup currently. Everyone here says it won't spool good enough to use b/c of the size of the turbo, but b/c of the price I'm going to give it a try anyways. So we'll see :D

subway

Reaction score
I'm working on a remote setup currently. Everyone here says it won't spool good enough to use b/c of the size of the turbo, but b/c of the price I'm going to give it a try anyways. So we'll see :D

so where are you putting it?

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score

QUOTE]

could see some disavantages
1. how do i run the intake pipe up to the front from underneath the truck
2. would i leave my trubo exposed completely to the element....salt, dirt, hitting dead animals.
3. pumping the oil back up from the turbo, i know we can use the lift pump but it hasent been proved out long term yet.
4. where do you put the intake filter?
5. how would i hard mount the turbo with engine and exhaust flex

again i am no turbo expert and more could pop up if i actaully dove into the project but it still holds my interest.

1. The intake pipe fits nicely past the oil cooler and 90s up behind the power steering pump.
2. You can (and I plan to) build a skid plate. Hard part will be making it effective, yet still able to get a hose to it and spray it off.
3. If the stock lift pump proves inefficient, edelbrock makes a mechanical pump that move 120+ gph. That should keep up.
4. If you can find a route to get a 2nd pipe into the engine compatment, I'm interested.
5. We were concerned with that too. So far, so good.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.