Custom turbo questions

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok so I've been thinking about just building a custom turbo setup this summer when I start working agian cause I don't wanna down 3k on a kit if I can make one for like 1200. I was looking at the holset hx35 which I know has been done but how would I build all the piping and the intake hat that sits on the top of the motor to the turbo. I was also thinking about a cheeper turbo but idk what all there is and what size to get. The only thing done to my engine is a turned up pump. I plan on gettin new injectors when I do this if I even get to do it cause mine are stock and at 190,000 miles. Any help and tips would be greatly appriciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blowthrough carb adapter drilled out for the original air cleaner bolt. Cold side pipes and weldable turbo flange from siliconintakes.com. You'll need 2-1/4 two bolt ball and socket adapters for the stock manifold. Hotside pipes will need to be fabbed.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the IDI TECH ARTICLES for a Banks install, that'll give you an idea what required.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok I think I may have ats up pipes but that's it.ive got the turbo to but I kinda wanna build my own since it had to be rebuilt and I've gotta buy all the parts for it anyway

Idk if the ats up pipes would work but they may be somethin for me to go off

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Also could I use like the 12v downpipe to come off the turbo the put like a powerstroke down pipe the rest of the way

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
alot of fab work.
if i were you i would not use the ATS up pipe.
they suck, and its a slip fit to the turbo.
i would make my own something like the PSD up pipes.

a blow through carb hat will work, but they are pricy
my .02 is to search the internet, and market place.
you can get a kit fairly cheap. when i was looking for a core i found 2 093 ATS set ups for less than 500 bucks.(aftermarket design)
im using the OEM design.

i would send it out to get rebuilt tho.

if you have fab skills, by all means, do what you gotta do!

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Well if I can get the rest of the parts I need for the kit I'll just send it to be rebuilt but all I have is the up pipe and the turbo and air box. I think Mel told me it'd be 400 to rebuild it but idk if he has the rest of the parts.but by the time I have the money there might be some kits on ebay I found a complete at like mine for 300 but of course I was broke so I didn't get it

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hx35. make sur eu have the larger 14cm or better the 16cm ex housing. even then te cold side is a little small.
im running an hx35 but thats only because i have less than 250 in it, that includes rebuild kit and balancing the rotating assembly. I have a 2.5" v band flange exhaust housing, so i made a v band downpipe to go to it. just downpipe, its 2.5" expanded almost immediatly to 3"

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Howed you do your up pipes and stuff cause I really wanna stay under 1000 with this and howed you do you downpipe and what blowthrough carb adapter

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some parts stores carry the carb adapter... It's sometimes used to run a "cold air" intake on older carbed vehicles

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Welp that's outta the question lol.im kinda debatin now on tryin to get a 99+ 7.3 turbo and put on it.would y'all think thated be better then the hx35

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are 2 different types early 99 and late 99-03
youll have to research it.
ive thought about doing it, but never done it....

hope you can weld. :D

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Oh I can weld pretty damn good if I have a good wire feed like we have at school.them little ones you can buy I can do decent with but we've got a big digital miller and I'm pretty good with it.what all am I gonna have to weld and I wanna say the engine is a 2000 I was just meanin 99 an up body style

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
up pipes will have to be custom,
turbo pedestal will be custom.
oil lines are not an issue.
custom down pipe.
none of the PS stuff will bolt on our engines.