zf5 replacing t19

wrsainio

Reaction score
I would like to know if I will have any problems switching a ZF5 from an 89 4wd into an 86 4 speed 4wd. Both are 7.3, the 86 was originally 6.9. Had no problems installing the 7.3. a year ago.both are supercabs with 8' boxes. I was planning on switching everything from the engine back. The 89 has a new solid flywheel and clutch, not the dual mass one. do the rear transmission mounts line up? Are the holes in the floor for both sticks the same or do you have to modify the floor pan? Do I need to use the 89 or 86 driveshaft? Any problems with the handbrakes?
thanks for your help. My bellhousing collapsed on the 86 and that is what started this project.Never heard of that before.
I would like the overdrive for my 86. The 89 is a donor.
Wilf from Thunder Bay On Canada.

DragRag

Reaction score
I would like to know if I will have any problems switching a ZF5 from an 89 4wd into an 86 4 speed 4wd. Both are 7.3, the 86 was originally 6.9. Had no problems installing the 7.3. a year ago.both are supercabs with 8' boxes. I was planning on switching everything from the engine back. The 89 has a new solid flywheel and clutch, not the dual mass one. do the rear transmission mounts line up? Are the holes in the floor for both sticks the same or do you have to modify the floor pan? Do I need to use the 89 or 86 driveshaft? Any problems with the handbrakes?
thanks for your help. My bellhousing collapsed on the 86 and that is what started this project.Never heard of that before.
I would like the overdrive for my 86. The 89 is a donor.
Wilf from Thunder Bay On Canada.

I replaced my t19 with a zf5. Mine is an 86 4x4 also. You are good to go having the single mass flywheel and clutch set up, bolts right up. Using the T19 is a no go, must come from the donor, or new. All the mounts line up, it is basically a straight change out. Drives shafts are the same to. The holes on the floor on mine lined up the same, and I even used the t19 shifter boot since it was in great shape. That is a fairly straight forward swap.