ZF 5 smf rollover noise

oleblue85

Reaction score
I know this is talked about a lot but I am unsure what will be best for my situation. I just finished a zf 5 swap with a luk smf. When I drained the trans it had what looked to be 30 wt gear oil. I put in atf (4 quarts )(not synthetic) to clean out the trans with the anticipation of draining and refilling with synthetic atf in 500 miles. The trans shifts beautifully but has that horrible rollover noise. Not at idle but when decelerating in all gears. Should I go with 30 wt or synthetic atf. Will refilling with say mobil 1 atf at 5 quarts stop the noise? Do you all use different oils based on a smf or dmf?

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about different oil, but i know some over fill the trans by .5-1qt through the shifter and usually this helps quiet it down.

old_red

Reaction score
did the smf conversion. ran is for 500 miles on pain old atf then switched to 4 quarts of Redline MTL its a lot quieter. I only get noise when its luggin like sub 1100 rpm (your not supposed to do that btw but it happens)

Maverick1701

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just let mine rumble away....I might overfilll it eventually (once I feel like getting outside and working on the truck)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Do not overfill, thats a good way to wind up with oil on your clutch. Switch to a synthetic 30 or 50wt ATF You should have no trouble finding one at a big truck supply at those are standard fill for spicer and other heavy manual trannys now
I run an Amsoil 50 wt atfin mine, shifts great and no noise. I used to run a 30 but it was a little light for my Brownie and I was still getting some rollover noise out of it so I wanted to keep everything on one lube , and a little digging brought uop the fact that the 50 wt atf crossed a graqde that was spec for the box so its not too heavy.
A number of tranny builders warn against overfilling they put the fil plug below the input shaft bearing height for a reason, they learned a long time ago that hot trannys build pressure and oiln likes to go places and that is OUT. Oiln is meant to have to climb the gearas to lube the upper cluster, if the input shaft is submurged, oil can migrate out to the clutch and ruin it

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Do not overfill, thats a good way to wind up with oil on your clutch. Switch to a synthetic 30 or 50wt ATF You should have no trouble finding one at a big truck supply at those are standard fill for spicer and other heavy manual trannys now
I run an Amsoil 50 wt atfin mine, shifts great and no noise. I used to run a 30 but it was a little light for my Brownie and I was still getting some rollover noise out of it so I wanted to keep everything on one lube , and a little digging brought uop the fact that the 50 wt atf crossed a graqde that was spec for the box so its not too heavy.
A number of tranny builders warn against overfilling they put the fil plug below the input shaft bearing height for a reason, they learned a long time ago that hot trannys build pressure and oiln likes to go places and that is OUT. Oiln is meant to have to climb the gearas to lube the upper cluster, if the input shaft is submurged, oil can migrate out to the clutch and ruin it

Which is what I think is causing my clutch slipping issue. I am going to jam a SMF in teh CCLB when I do it up, and I think that I will try the Amsoil. I run their oil in my bike. $20 to change oil in the 250cc dirtbike, but if it says amsoil on the bottle, you can rest assured that it's good stuff!!

oleblue85

Reaction score
Thanks. I am trying to find the 50 weight atf. Would you happen to know if this spec of trans fluid is marketed under other brands? When I ask the counter guy about 50 weight atf he has no clue what I am talking about. Is amsoil the only one that makes this? I found lucas 50 wt synthetic heavy duty truck trans oil that wont harm delicate brass and internal parts. Will this work? Maybe I am thinking too much into this but I want the trans to last!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in a link for this 50wt. ATF as well. I've got all of mine overfilled and no clutch issues. I suspect it depends on how healthy your seals are in the first place.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that Lucas one. I may have to try some of that.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been using the Lucas for about 60,000 miles and it's in my rear as well love the stuff iv'e changed it twice and it always is clean good stuff

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey oleblue85 im coming your way in a few weeks wanna meet up maybe and check out each others trucks. im goin up to pismo beach. to ride quads and stoppin by to see icanfixall and see his truck and he's gonna time mine with me and check out my truck it's been being worked over for about 6 months now. im almost done she will be on the road this weekend.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I been thinking about what fluid to put in my zf because it makes a heck of a racket and shifts hard. Royal purple say it is not a substitute for Ford F type. Does that mean it's no good for the zf?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online