Your basic remote turbo setup

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The VIN M truck will support a turbo of any kind just fine....and man it's a sweet truck. Barney's compound turbo system worked great it was just apparently still too much boost for a stockish motor. It worked great till he added the Moose Pump which then fed it enough fuel to boost 18psi. Even with studs, with a stock motor that turns out to be too much.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
The VIN M truck will support a turbo of any kind just fine....and man it's a sweet truck. Barney's compound turbo system worked great it was just apparently still too much boost for a stockish motor. It worked great till he added the Moose Pump which then fed it enough fuel to boost 18psi. Even with studs, with a stock motor that turns out to be too much.

That's not necessarily true. The limits on my system were:

1.The mitsubishi turbo up top was prone to clipping of the fins on the compressor side. I would have had to have a custom wheel made that would withstand compressed air hitting it.

2. The head gasket problem. When I tore it down I found several studs that weren't torqued or had lost torque. Others were dripping oil when I pulled them out. I think improper mechanic procedures were followed when it was put together.

3. I think the compound set up was possibly a bottle neck. Even though I had 15 psi to the top and nearly 20 at the motor (which tells me that the sidewinder turbo was making 3-5 psi over the psd turbo). I was always tempted to get rid of the sidewinder and just use the bigger turbo by itself. Now someone can.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Errrrrrr...this was a twin setup? I think, after reading this, that you would probably been fine with just the single that is now for sale. If you are losing only gaining 3 psi, I would think there is a problem. But I am not that familiar with a compound setup.

SWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online