worth $1800?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sell the thm700 for $1000 installed without shift kit.
good- non computerized truck
bad- no turbo.
those people who scavenge and sell the Banks turbo kit for the 6.2 think they have gold when in reality only the passenger side exhaust manifold is worth anything. If the truck had the 6.5 turbo, the $1500 would be worth doing. a non-turbo 6.2 truck is $1000 at best in my book.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it has 0 rust and is in great shape plus i could fit a 6.5 turbo kit on it. I just want a diesel to replace the P.O.S gasser i have now

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the crank too... Turboing a 6.2 past .000005 psi is a recipe for "1 v8, 5 cranks"(blown to pieces, get it?...mwahhahahahahahahaaahaa) which may be a cool trick, sucks for getting to work and back daily.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is to never accept the price initially set. Try lower. I'd go $1200-$1500 for it since I have the replacement parts it needs. And to me the rust free part is a BIG selling point. So is the 6.2NA. I've driven a lot of NAs as well as turbo'd diesels and although a turbo is really nice, especially if you're going to head to the mountains, I'm really fine with driving a little slower. If I wanted to go fast, I'd put one of my HiPo gas engines in it.

But you don't necessarily need a turbo to get things done. And the hard core proponents of turbos and fast diesels, usually are the ones who want something they can chip for easy power. You can always put a turbo on later if you want.

Otherwise I say work that price down and go for it!

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
ditto

A turbo is nice but not necessary, i have driven NA 6.2 and there not bad, they do the job just a bit slower, and can be a bit surprising when you wind them up< remember they do have Detroit blood ;-)

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly! I started my Burb up after a healthy month's absence, and without fail it started without much cranking or glow plugs and with old fuel. I have no complaints about my '82 6.2l NA and how it is. It has more hours than miles on it, and as the one engine that made me fall in love with diesels back when new, I would never give it up now that I have it.

Nor do I need a turbo for it. But I do miss the whine of one spooling up...