Worn IP?

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey yall im new here and i got a problem. Got a '92 f250 7.3. When the engine is cold it fires in a heartbeat. if you shut it down and start it right back up it's fine. When you let it sit for 45 minutes or so it is one holy heck of a pain to start. Would that be injector seals or a worn injection pump? Or are there any other possible culperates?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Is it hard to start after it sits for a little bit and the engine is still warm, but then is easy to start once it has cooled off fully?

If so then the injection pump is having problems - you can try and overdose it with fuel lube and see if that helps it along but more than likely it will just need to be replaced.

One thing you can try is when it's hard to start pour some water over the injection pump and if it starts right up then you need a replcement injection pump.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only after it sits for a while. if you shut down and back up within 20-30 min its fine. but im kinda torn between injector seals and the IP. The return lines are cracked and theres seepage. Im prayin its the seals cuz i aint got the money for a pump at the moment. lol

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the exact same thing with a new IP. I am sucking air somewhere I guess. I have no idea why it only happens when warm, but thats whats happening.

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I would look at a fuel return line leak somewhere first. At $40 or less, a return line kit is a lot cheaper. Especiallly if it fixes it.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is doing the exact same thing with a new IP. I am sucking air somewhere I guess. I have no idea why it only happens when warm, but thats whats happening.

ok that eases my mind a lot. thanks a bundle! i figured id go ahead and replace them seals first anyway. lol

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it sits for more than 3 hours then does it start up fine again?

If it starts good cold, then not very well, as in 20 seconds or more hot, then let it sit for 3 hours and it starts fine again, I would say it was your pump.

Just went through this with my pump.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i hope its seals. but when its hot itll fire great for 20-30 min afterward. just like it does when its cold. its when it sits for 45-90 min is when it acts up.

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh I should have also said that if mine sat for more than 20 - 30 min then it would take up to 30 seconds before firing. but once cold it would fire right up.

7.3n/anut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats how it works. does yers shake like crazy when its hard to start?

Billyisgr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once started only when really cold would it shake like crazy, the garbage rebuilt injectors I had bought, they stuck really bad and had very low pop pressures. They were replaced with new ones and all is vey good now.

Smokey73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats how it works. does yers shake like crazy when its hard to start?

that's exactly what mine's been doing. I put the clear plastic hose from the filter to the #1 injector, and after it sits (20-30 mins for me) all the fuel drains out of the hose.