WMO observations on a 97 PSD...

Greenbeast6.9

grease monkey
Reaction score
Well i have been chasing down a HPOP leak and i still cannot find it, but upon removal of the injectors i found that the tips were blocked and had a lot of carbon on them. I would assume this is from my 50% WMO mix. I have been running it this way for about two months. This does not mean that this happens to every ones injectors, but I thought i would share. I am going to continue to run a WMO mix, but this time I am going to go with an additive to see if I can get rid of the carbon. Let me know if you all have any ideas.

On another note i found that one injector bore has a little bit of antifreeze sitting in the bottom of the hole. What could this be caused by? The injector also had some surface rust on it. Could it be cracked and exposed to a water jacket?

Attachments

• DSC00310-2.jpg
    DSC00310-2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC00309-1.jpg
    DSC00309-1.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC00311-1.jpg
    DSC00311-1.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 20

sassyrel

Reaction score
put water mist injection on it--it will steam clean things inside as it runs--have it come on with boost---

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Are you cold starting on the 50/50 mix, or starting on diesel, then switching to the 50/50 mix after warm up?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the antifreeze is a leaky injector cup.
as for the carbon build up that could also be caused by a bad injectors, Ive see that on straight diesel trucks

FWIW I just pulled the injectors on my 95 which is running 2/3 wvo and the injectors were covered with carbon but not all the same. I know the injctors were bad though

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
You need a cup puller and installer. It has a big tap that threads it then a puller screws in it and you screw a slide hammer in that and pop pop and it pops out. Then you put the new one on the installer cover it in locktite and smack it in with a hammer till it bottoms.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i know WMO has a probability of causing carbon build up but unless you knew they were fine before how do we know if it truly was the WMO. like Nick says it can happen with diesel. i know we would all like to know but i hate to condemn the WMO just yet.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what my injectors looked like when I pulled them @ 145,000 miles. This was straight #2 being run through them. Old injector on left, new rebuilt on right.

You must be registered for see images attach

Here is one bank of glow plugs that were removed at the same time.

You must be registered for see images attach

So, compared to the ones that have had WMO squirted through them mine look pretty new. But the real test would be to clean up your injectors and stick them back in and check again in 15 or 20K miles.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i am not really arguing that its not the WMO in fact it is something i am worried about and suspect can happen. it seems the same can happen running WVO that is not up to temp. since you had them out a year ago thats not really good news but it is important to know.

maybe heat should be mandatory or a water injection system to steam clean it out.