With this sticker, I thee complete!

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
This is the post I've been waiting for. Congratulation Mel. One for finishing a cool project and two for putting up the fight to "get R done" legally. Well done!

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A big congrats Mel! Great to see you've got it on the road all legal and such. I still have to get my IDI past DOT inspection to get a set of plates. I'm going next week. Hope they don't have some stupid hoops to jump through.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and support. I especially want to thank John (Joe PaFixItMan's friend, who has Hurricane Ivan to thank for relieving him of his truck) for the parts truck, Joe (PafixitMan), Doug (Bensen), Scott (ApexTrans), Nick (finally got a whataver handle he's using these days), Russ (Gruss) and my son Matthias for helping get the project started. Many thanks to my good friend Bob Boule for his time and effort to help me refine the C6 and for his advice and support on the inspection issue, and to my friends at Stoner-Wade Ford For their support for this project. Currently there are parts from about 5 or 6 different trucks on the Bronco, and I want to thank everyone who sent me something to use on it, and yes it will get painted as soon as I fix the rust and save up some money. While the project has not been that expensive, it has been a pretty continuous drain on my descretionary budget. I drove it to work twice so far, and to my WM meeting last night (120 miles). My first opportunity to check the milage, which still included a lot of idling and short trips at night (I did manage to sneak about 300 or so nocturnal miles on it since January) shows that at present I am getting 15.1 MPG. Not as good as I had hoped but, this is without any real effort to get milage out of it. Yet to be done: Replace the free tires that Scott (Apextrans) gave me, which while they are round, and made of rubber, they do lack certain attributes of a quality tire that I would like to have. However, this won't happen until I decide if I am keeping these axles or not. Next on the list is to replace all the injectors. The ones I have in there now are a mish mash of codes and marginal ones that I am embarrased to confess to having installed, but I was moving right along at the time. EZ sent me some that I should have an opportunity to install soon. Then I will time the pump. I set it by ear when I started it months ago and haven't messed with it since. The air cleaner is stock, and dirty. I never even bought a new filter for it, because I want to go with a ghost tube. A lot of this was intentional anyway, since this truck is a platform for me to experience more of the real world problems that I read about, but never experience with my garage queens. I want to run it some more in this trim to get a good fuel milage average, then I'll be able to measure any improvements as they come along. I do have a question for the C6 guys, at what speeds would you say your trans shifts occur? Right now, first is so short lived, you'd think it was a 2 speed trans. 3rd hits around 25mph. I has no problem getting out of it's own way though. I may need to fool with the VRV a little.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Mel,
And a hearty " well done".

My commute is only about 12 miles, but my job requires me to visit various job sites in MD, DE, PA and VA. Last year I drove about 35,000 work miles. This year I am on pace to do do 50,000. Too bad, all those miles are in a Ch*vy, ga$$er. I rather hear the rattle of my IDI. Then again, I'm not paying for the fuel.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Yet to be done: Replace the free tires that Scott (Apextrans) gave me, which while they are round, and made of rubber, they do lack certain attributes of a quality tire that I would like to have.

What, you don't like to feel each & every block of tread touch the pavement as it goes around. & what better way to fill the void of silence if the radio is off or not working, with the musical hum of said tires :D If they're not in too bad shape when your done with 'em, I'll take 'em back unless you have other plans. Always good for my demo derby cars :Sly

Seriously, congrats on finishing the project. Glad I got a chance to meet you & lend a hand thought the process. Use it well.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
You do know that a Air cleaner for a gasser fits right on don't ya?I test fitted one at the shop and if you get one that the neck extends a little below the filter base it will clear all the lines perfectly.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's what the ghost tube is. A 5.8L Dodge gasser air snorkle from AFE.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Its about 15 miles to my High school. I drive there in the morning with my dad, but I have to ride the bus home. The bus ride home is just over an hour. I cant wait until next year when I can drive my truck.

But thats besides the point, this is about the Bronco. Good job on the work. Hopefully you'll get better milage than what you got. What kind of gears does it have?

I think it would be cool to have a IDI'd Bronco. But I have to budget on what I have to do with my truck as it is.

Something I'm considering is a IDI'd F100, do you guys think that a 6.9 or 7.3 will fit between the fendors. I know that I would have to do suspension to handle the weight. Maybe this summer I'll start on this.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Good going Mel. For your trans, get your vacuum gauge out and hook it to the tranny side of the regulator. Put your hand pump on the pump side (should be labeled, but the the pump is the top fitting and the tranny is the lower - if memory serves...). Pump up to ~20", at idle pos you should have 11-13" reading on your tranny side while maintaining 20" and pump side. Now dump vacuum by cycling the throttle a few times and put the throttle lever approx 1/2" off idle (manual states .515" which is about 33/64" drill bit if you have one). Pump up to 20" and tranny side should read 6-8".
Both the readings must be in the range, if not you can adjust. If neither of these reading can be achieved, the VRV is bad. If you can get the valve adjusted but you still have problems, :puke: maybe get lucky with the modulator.
For what it's worth, my truck shifts ~20 and ~40, higher under hard accel, maybe a little lower going down a hill and no pedal.
James

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks James. I'll do those checks then.