Will the mech. fuel pump pull through the stock filter?

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rerouted my fuel lines to the filter before the pump and now I am having issues with fuel surges(after I release from half throttle it lags for 1/2 second then catches back up)and poor idling. It also idles better when I have my foot on the pedal just a little. The fuel line going to the pump from the filter has a pretty good bounce to it--1 inch ( dont know if thats normal)

--These problems did not happen before I replumbed the filter.

I want to put a electric fuel pump but shouldnt the stock one do it now?

i am really hoping that its not a air leaking in- I use the larger barbed air fittings so the hose goes over real tight, others have mentioned that the connections off of the filter leak- anybody know a way to check for this?
new filter
new fuel pump

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I wouldn't count on that filter housing sealing on the suction side. The factory mech pump is pretty tolerant of large particles so the setup wasn't designed with a pre filter. If you need a filter before the pump, best going with a different aftermarket filter/seperator better suited for that position.

mcbg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the filter was on the real tight when i changed it so i was thinking that it was a good seal but it probably does not take much air to cause the idling problems that i am having( if thats whats causing it).

do you know of a filter set up that would be good before a pump?

i want it before the pump so that i can have a WVO/ WMO heated filter and a diesel filter, then to the 6 port ,and have them share the same pump.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
My truck has Fram HG-1 filters mounted on the frame just before the tank selector valve. They have a replaceable element and aren't too expensive. I don't know about wvo wmo, I'd assume they'd work with them.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If You have a tsc around You can get the goldenrod filter with water block. It is a clear shell so You can also inspect it .

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i haven't had much luck pulling fuel through a big filter, i already tried it for mine. what seemed to work for me is one of those cheep clear tube filters you see at parts houses with 3 pack replicable elements. i know they aren't the best and i don't think i would trust one by itself but its just a pre-filter.

if you are just running diesel it will probably work better for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger