Wicked Wheel is here - Install Questions

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott, you're best off gutting the piston out of the pedestal and plugging the hole. It'll leak on you sooner or later and most likely at a time that is very inconvenient for you to take a day and fix the leak.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Well, 'bout damn time something went right unknowingly!! Got the turbo & pedestal out & saw that the o-rings looked the same before I came in the house to check the thread. At least I don't have to go back to the stealership again......yet. Gotta hit Autozone & the Home Depot or Loew's for the delete parts when I can find a ride.

I'm gonna get the HPOP out of the way right now then I'll gut the EBPV & ped.

Man, was that back exhaust inlet clamp a MF'er. Going good so far, only bleeding from 2 knuckels;p

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Scott, you're best off gutting the piston out of the pedestal and plugging the hole. It'll leak on you sooner or later and most likely at a time that is very inconvenient for you to take a day and fix the leak.

You must have posted just before me. I was that far down so I just pulled the pedestal. Only 4 bolts so it's worth it to do it now as you guy suggested.
I think I may have been leaking there already. Alot of caked up oil, but it could be from the HPOP draining back although I don't think it is. In any case, it's being addressed.

DieselRecon

Reaction score
Please don't use an impact on the compressor wheel. The shaft is very small in diameter and it is easy to bend it. Even just a few thousandths will shorten the turbo life due to imbalance.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Well everything is back in & went fairly well. Only thing is one of the kids took off with the big .....spacer thing that bolts onto the x-pipe. I don't know what it's called but it goes on the manifold air heater stud between the 2 wires. Have to pick one up tomorrow because the kiddes don't remember what they may have done with it. I must have told them all to stay out of the garage & away from the truck 100 times today for this reason exactly. However it was my daughter's birthday today & we had all her neighborhood friend here tonite so it may have been one of the little ******** I don't own.

Gutting the EBPV & installing the wheel was pretty easy. I didn't use an impact on the wheel so no worries there. The HPOP was a little bit of a PITA but appears to be dry all around after a 10 mile test run. I have a little oil in the valley but I think its spillage from refilling after the install. I'll mop it up tomorrow & go for another ride to know for sure.

I'm getting a few more PSI of boost & ALOT more whistle though. I still get some surge with hard throttle. I also noticed the check engine light is coming on under hard throttle which it wasn't doing before. It also seems to be cranking alot longer to start. Is that from draining the HPOP & now have some air that has to work thru the system? The check engine light has me a little annoyed after all this. Any ideas there?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well everything is back in & went fairly well.
Gutting the EBPV & installing the wheel was pretty easy. I didn't use an impact on the wheel so no worries there.
I'm getting a few more PSI of boost & ALOT more whistle though. I still get some surge with hard throttle. I also noticed the check engine light is coming on under hard throttle which it wasn't doing before. It also seems to be cranking alot longer to start. Is that from draining the HPOP & now have some air that has to work thru the system? The check engine light has me a little annoyed after all this. Any ideas there?

:thumbsup: Scott! It will be a couple days before the "normal start" returns...lotsa air in the HPOP system. Mine cleared out after 2 days ;Sweet

As far as the check eng lite...you say you notice a few more PSI of boost ....:D ....that lite usually comes on after 21 psi or so...need to make a "boost fooler"---small air press regulator avail just about any home center....
set it up on the bench to only show 20 PSI and tie in the MAP hose to it....just be sure and tee off the boost guage before the regulator so you see real boost in the cab.

Is your exh straight thru or still running a ****?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thumbsup: Scott! It will be a couple days before the "normal start" returns...lotsa air in the HPOP system. Mine cleared out after 2 days ;Sweet

As far as the check eng lite...you say you notice a few more PSI of boost ....:D ....that lite usually comes on after 21 psi or so...need to make a "boost fooler"---small air press regulator avail just about any home center....
set it up on the bench to only show 20 PSI and tie in the MAP hose to it....just be sure and tee off the boost guage before the regulator so you see real boost in the cab.

|stupid I agree. I think boost is the culprit for the check engine light. Give the HPOP system a couple days to bleed out or take it out for a nice long ride.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score

Got about 25 -30 psi depending on driving situations. Still have a muffler on it.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
It is straight thru, but it's a very quiet system. I wonder how much restriction there really is.

keep checking for leaks & stuff around the HPOP & all is dry. Starting a little better too. Looks like I may have done all right with this .

One of the guys at the dealer thinks the check engine light could be a result of the missing manifold air heater connection not being properly attached.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is straight thru, but it's a very quiet system. I wonder how much restriction there really is.

keep checking for leaks & stuff around the HPOP & all is dry. Starting a little better too. Looks like I may have done all right with this .

One of the guys at the dealer thinks the check engine light could be a result of the missing manifold air heater connection not being properly attached.

I'd say very little if any exhaust restriction. Kudo's on the HPOP;Sweet

Forgot you posted about junior wandering off with the manifold heater parts......... dealer may be right this time:dunno LOL ....really can't tell without pulling the codes, if the puter even stored it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online