Why serpentine?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I removed the serpantine belt from the old chave and went back to v belts. I live the v style, Far lesss chance of getting stuck ont he side of the road with v belts.

Its not one all inclusive belt.

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problems with my serp belt until I replaced the idler and tensioner pulleys with genuine Ford parts. All is well now. And I am a firm believer in the tensioner with the damper on it. It was a tough item to find, but well worth the money in my opinion.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ebay has the shock absorber tensioners all day long. The seller is in Texas and the price was $49.00 last year... Now its $69.00. They also sell the open and closed spring types too really low cost... The are oem parts..

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay has the shock absorber tensioners all day long. The seller is in Texas and the price was $49.00 last year... Now its $69.00. They also sell the open and closed spring types too really low cost... The are oem parts..

Thanks, I just ordered one.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Well if you look at most newer vehicles with serpentine belts, you will notice that there is a LOT of tension on most if not all of them. Thats pretty ******* the bearings, ....So....we also know that new stuff is not designed to last half a lifetime like they used to so im thinking that this is a sneaky way of killing accessories faster. ****** me off. Some of them are so tight im not sure how accessories even last as long as they do..:dunno

Where as with a v-belt system, I always have my belts slightly on the loose side to be easy on the bearings of the water pump, PS pump etc...

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if you look at most newer vehicles with serpentine belts, you will notice that there is a LOT of tension on most if not all of them. Thats pretty ******* the bearings, ....So....we also know that new stuff is not designed to last half a lifetime like they used to so im thinking that this is a sneaky way of killing accessories faster. ****** me off. Some of them are so tight im not sure how accessories even last as long as they do..:dunno

Where as with a v-belt system, I always have my belts slightly on the loose side to be easy on the bearings of the water pump, PS pump etc...
I understand what you are saying, but the additional slippage caused by this will wear out both the belts and pulleys prematurely. V-belt drive systems lose between 20-30% of the transmitted power, even when tight.

There is no dark conspiracy behind serpentine belt systems, and I don't know of any excessive wear or shortened component life caused by them. They are used on all heavy trucks now and those typically run a million miles per year.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the length of the belt of get one an inch shorter. I changed tension pulley and idler and still had it come off and nick the radiator. Put one on that was 1 inch shorter and have not had a problem with it coming off. That said I'm sure there's a reason it was coming off I just couldn't find it. Everything was tight and straight.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
not to really hijack or anything but while we are on the subject. Do they make a tensioner with a small V belt pully on it?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Check the length of the belt of get one an inch shorter. I changed tension pulley and idler and still had it come off and nick the radiator. Put one on that was 1 inch shorter and have not had a problem with it coming off. That said I'm sure there's a reason it was coming off I just couldn't find it. Everything was tight and straight.

you bring up a good point, for some reason not all the serp belt setups for our IDI's are the same length. there could be a belt on there that is to long.

finitetime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the shorter belt cause someone reached over pulled on the belt and said the belts not tight enough. There were both new!! So after discussing it I went with a shorter belt to get more tension.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Belt length is important. Look at the front of the tensioner. There is a scale that tells you if the belt has the correct tension on it. It also indicates the proper length too. There is a pointer that shows on the scale..

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Both have their advantages... Some say that on a V-belt setup you can loose a belt and still make it home. That never worked out for me. I went cheap on an alternator belt once and had it give the underside of the hood a love-tap, which took out all the other belts in the process. Nothing but a mangled mess of crap under the hood after that one. But, a serp belt is the same way.

For me it is easier to R&R the serpentine belt, and if you have to remove a belt driven component (like I did last weekend when I had to pull the alternator off to get to the thermostat housing) it is much faster to grab the 15mm 1/2 drive socket and the breaker bar and pop the belt loose in 30 seconds.

I personally wouldn't swap a V belt setup for a serpentine belt, nor would I go the other direction... the pro's and con's are somewhat of a wash really.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08