why does my truck eat belts

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay since i have been driving this truck (about a year) i have had to replace the belt three or four times. last time i put a new tensioner on and evidiently that didnt do anything cause it happened again today.what should i look for? this is really starting to get old:mad: :mad: -cuss :mad: -cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well, you have not given enough information in your post to be very helpful but this may point you in the correct direction. I'm guessing its a serpentine system because of the tensioner you have replaced. When the motor is running does the tensioner wheel bounce? If so usually this means a pulley is bent. The vacuum pump pulley is usually the bad one. Also the idler pulley assembly needs to be replaced from time to time. Some replace it everytime they replace the tensioner. Hope this starts you one the right direction.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
As icanfixall has said... check your pulllies... When my 99 started eating belts it was because of the idle pulley and the power steering.... actually I think the idle pully helped to tear up the PS pulley...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Compudoc had similar problems, and found the issue to be the belt itself. What brand(s) are you trying?

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the last one came from auto zone the one before that came from advanced and i dont remember where the others came from mabey i try napa this time and see how that works

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the last one came from auto zone the one before that came from advanced and i dont remember where the others came from mabey i try napa this time and see how that works

Napa is made by Gates. Good luck. Its the Gates brand that I had problems with. Went with Dayco and havent had a problem since.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay i think i found out why its eating belts the tensioner is actually leaning forward toward the fan and about a 1/8" of the belt is hanging of. i looked further and i pulled everthing apart and found that that "braket(not sure what its called)" that holds the ps pump tensioner idlear pulley and all that stuff has been drilled out and a helia coil put in its place. but it had not drilled straight so i guess thats why the tensioner is leaning? where can i get an new braket does anyone have one that they will sell me?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Their have been several modifications done the these brackets over the years. Towcat has the numbers from Ford for this part. I think he has it in the "parts dump" or something. I don't really remember what the location is called.... Maybe its called the parts bin....????:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. The Parts Bin, in the tech articles section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online