Where do you guys get shop consumables from?

1994 Turbo

Reaction score
Where do you guys buy your consumables from? (Roloc discs, grinding wheels, welding supplies etc) I know this is a truck forum but most of us still have shops and work on our own stuff. My family having a large dairy operation and a larger crop operation we spend almost all winter in the shop getting ready for next season. I have been buying everything at the parts store in town but it is becoming expensive ($4,000 in November at the parts store alone) and i'm beginning to wonder if there are better options. If this post is not appropriate feel free to take it down. i figure i'll try a forum i like before i go elsewhere though.
Thanks,
Dillan

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the tools and supplies section over at pirate 4x4 forum. The off road crowd is brutal on the quality vs value judgement. That is if you are looking for online vendors

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well depsnds what consumables..

Canadian tyre has great deals on grinding disck flap wheels etc every so often...

Same with tools oil grease etc.

All about finding what ehete and when really

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MSC, Grainger, northern tool supply.
i try very hard to order as much as i can.
going to the store for sand paper is overrated!

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
small hardware stores are great, my local ace and mac's have me set up with a charge account, plus they discount me to cost+10% ;Sweet
nice thing about the small ones too, is they'll order things for you they don't normally carry
if I'm buying bulk (more than 25 discs of one type), I just do the online thing

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon for roloc disks and stuff like that. I typically buy the cutting wheels at like Depot but that is only because I run out in the middle of something. Harbor freight runs pretty good deals on the flap wheels once in a while but if you can plan ahead an industrial supplier or Amazon is probably your best bet for inexpensive. So far no major problems with any of the things I've bought in that arena. READ Reviews and remember, people usually review things they are really happy with or really pissed about so temper what you see through those glasses. I bought a bag of 50 or 100 (can't remember) 2" roloc sanding disks for less than $20 I believe. May have been like $12-15 can't remember now.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would definitely like to store bulk automotive supplies, particularly coolant, oil, grease, and filters. That would have been especially nice recently as I've essentially changed my oil and coolant 3 times due to a combination of my own stupidity and inexperience.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can also get fleet charge coolant in 5 gal buckets. That's how I buy my oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
This my be surprising, but for some of my shop chemicals (PB Blaster, Engine De-greaser, Brake-kleen, etc) I have been going to my local Dollar General (which is good because it is within walking distance (BTDT when all 3 were down and I had gear lube on the rear brake rotor)). They are the least expensive I've found for these things, even lower than Wally-World......

I.E. A standard size can of PB Blaster is ~$4.75 and the tall can of CRC Brake-Kleen is $3-something........

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys buy your consumables from? (Roloc discs, grinding wheels, welding supplies etc) I know this is a truck forum but most of us still have shops and work on our own stuff. My family having a large dairy operation and a larger crop operation we spend almost all winter in the shop getting ready for next season. I have been buying everything at the parts store in town but it is becoming expensive ($4,000 in November at the parts store alone) and i'm beginning to wonder if there are better options. If this post is not appropriate feel free to take it down. i figure i'll try a forum i like before i go elsewhere though.
Thanks,
Dillan
dillan-
you won't get hammered for asking questions like yours. at least not at this place. i would generally like to see this in the "lounge", but this can be a IDI specific question too, soooo it can stay. if another moderator wants to move it later, they can just so things stay uncluttered.
as far as consumables, I shop around constantly. products are constantly evolving, as well as application techniques. I tend to favor locally owned independent suppliers, even if they cost a little more. why? many of my local referrals to my business is from another business I buy from. there are some things the large corporations do exceedingly well at, and I do use them too, but online/mail order if there are no local distributors.
let's use abrasive papers as an example. my local Klingspor distributor is my number 1 source for most things in bulk. BUT....let's say one of my guys was hanging out with his buddies from another shop after work and they're talking about a "new" product that currently only 3M has that cuts production time by at least half. I'll buy from whichever local supplier has the product. there's even a few door-to door salesmen who will get the nod if what they sell makes sense.
bottom line, price is not everything. an open mind is. :D

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I buy local and from smaller shops. There is an ace hardware and a parts-plus that together carry most of what I need.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MSC, Grainger, northern tool supply.
i try very hard to order as much as i can.
going to the store for sand paper is overrated!

If you don't already have an existing customer account with Grainger I would avoid using them at all cost. We have very high prices on product and don't really do much along the lines of "competitive pricing" if you don't spend a decent amount of money with company on regular basis. I say "we" because that is my current employer.. :backoff

Furthermore, being that I am an employee I get a 50% discount on anything below $1000 and 30% off anything over that amount. (Plus free shipping)
If you guys are ever in need of anything that we carry, reach out to me and id be more than willing to help anyway I can. But I didn't say all that ;Poke ;Really