when it is done right.....

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
So since we are talking AC, anyone know of a good AC vacuum pump/manifold gauges/hoses for a decent price? I would like to get my AC done, we have had the last 30 days at 100+ degrees.

Harbor Freight sells a venturi vacuum puller for $15. It uses compressed air to create the Venturi effect, which the system gets to vacuum with quicker than our AC machine with a vacuum pump does. Hook up the air compressor and your gauges, pull vacuum, then throw the cans in and you're looking at a $100 AC recharge including the cost of the tools. Best part is you'll have the tools to do another AC in the future for cheap. Just did my 88 this way Monday

Last edited:

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

This was today after about 5min of idling while packing up to go to another job. 102* outside with a index of 113* from the humidity. When I hopped in to leave and cut the fans back a notch it dropped to about 38-39*.

And while we're on the subject, whats the hottest youve ever measured when first opening the door? We'll assume closed windows. Days like today 140* is normal for my truck.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
technically how the heck would you do that? if you open up a line it is not a sealed system anymore:dunno i am just wondering how that would work........what am i missing, would it not just keep pulling air in the open line?

I never said it was the best in the world. But when you start the engine and turn on the a/c w/pressure switch shorted. Remove the valve stem from the high side (I'm assuming the system is empty), put your finger close to the valve and you will feel air coming out, after a few minutes, say 5 or 10 you wont feel any air coming out. I have been told it's relatively affective. I did use it on a road trip a few years ago and replaced some o rings in a parts store parking lot. Drove the car for a couple of more years before selling it with no problem. And it anything isn't right in this part of Texas it will raise its ugly head!

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I never said it was the best in the world. But when you start the engine and turn on the a/c w/pressure switch shorted. Remove the valve stem from the high side (I'm assuming the system is empty), put your finger close to the valve and you will feel air coming out, after a few minutes, say 5 or 10 you wont feel any air coming out. I have been told it's relatively affective. I did use it on a road trip a few years ago and replaced some o rings in a parts store parking lot. Drove the car for a couple of more years before selling it with no problem. And it anything isn't right in this part of Texas it will raise its ugly head!

Well, I've seen someone do this. After a good 20 minutes, he just put the valve stem in while the compressor was still cycling, then added 4 cans of R134a, and presto. The AC worked for another 2 years before he sold the truck. Just make sure to get the cans of R134a that have oil in em, as opening the system like that is gonna lose some of the oil.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Where do you guys get those gauges to put in your vents? I'd like to see where mine is. Im glad my ac works in my psd. Nice and cold. The alt went out though so its been down for a week. I've been ridin my motorcycle saving money but its sooo damn hott out! No gettin away from the heat on a bike. Its actually worse like a blast furnace hittin ya.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was doing a job once and had my big temp gauge stolen. Well you know we service guys don't make squat for ourselves, on the bosses, so I had to get a temp gauge and cheap! So I actually used one from a store that I got in the cooking section. It wasn't completely accurate, but it did the job in a pinch and got me where I needed to be. I still have the damn thing, it's been 14 years, and it still works.

For Vac pumps I really like my Robinaire 3CFM. Anything too fast on a small system and things don't do so well. But I tell ya what, I never hear of that "running the AC with the valve core out" trick before, but it sounds like it would be ok. Of course I have one of those fancy valve core removers that allow me to put one in on a closed system with no atmospheric exposure. Pretty sweet, and expensive if I remember correctly.

Seems to me I may be trying a new trick tomorrow just for gits and shiggles... My 86 could use some refrigerant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online