What would cause a power surge

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving and saw a blue flash in the dash somewhere so I opened the hood and the top of the ip was smoking so I pulled the wire off and it stopped. So I pulled the top off and the shutoff solonoid had a split down the hot side. Ordered one off Amazon put it in and none of the lights would work including the brand new headlights. Long story short it somehow burned out every bulb that was on when the solonoid burned out. What could cause a major power surge? Possibly the voltage regulator? Or could the dead short cause it? The previous owner had none of the wires he cobbled up on any fuses and had a universal key switch in the floorboard that I done away with and replaced with the original .

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
It sounds impossible, but one time I had a radio short out while driving my first 85 F250. It killed all power to the truck (as far as I could tell). There was no blown fuses at all. The fusible link between the alternator and the solenoid was bad, but the outer insulation wasn't burned or melted. I could tell because the bad spot felt weak when I wiggled it. I just cut the fusible link and spliced it back together. Then, when it wouldn't start, I found out that it also killed the FSS somehow. I switched the top of the injector pump with another one that I had laying around and it started right up and ran fine. Moral of the story, check your fusible link. That could be it.

Scrench

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds impossible, but one time I had a radio short out while driving my first 85 F250. It killed all power to the truck (as far as I could tell). There was no blown fuses at all. The fusible link between the alternator and the solenoid was bad, but the outer insulation wasn't burned or melted. I could tell because the bad spot felt weak when I wiggled it. I just cut the fusible link and spliced it back together. Then, when it wouldn't start, I found out that it also killed the FSS somehow. I switched the top of the injector pump with another one that I had laying around and it started right up and ran fine. Moral of the story, check your fusible link. That could be it.
Exactly what mine done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online