What to look for when buying a 12v

1slowhatch

Reaction score
getting ready to buy my first diesel. I love the 94+ 12v, probably gonna end up with a reg cab long bed 4x4 with the 5 speed. my question is, what should i look for when purchasing one of these? The ones i have been looking at have around 150k miles, is there anything in particular that goes out or will need to be replaced? I hear the 5 speed is the stronger transmission, is this true? This will be a daily driver/hauler, i plan on putting an exhaust, intake, and maybe giving it a little more fuel and boost. Also, how much should I be able to find a 94 and up 4x4 w/ a 5 speed for? (decent shape, no rust)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
One of the common things is to fix the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin) if it hasn't already been done. With only 150k miles on the clock you shouldn't have much to worry about because it's still got a ton of miles left on the clock.

The 5 speed tranny has a nasty habit of loosening up the nut that holds 5th gear in place - I have fought that pretty ******* mine - it comes from when you turn up the power and use heavy throttle in 5th gear because the gear is a slip fit on the splines and will rock which in turns loosens up the nut that holds 5th gear in place - no damage occures when this happens you just don't have 5th gear. I welded mine in place you can read about here in the forums actually you can read about both these problems and fixes here in the forums.

The other common thing is for the return fuel lines to leak at the back of the motor - they are rubber for about 1 foot each and they will split over time and leak something bad - trust me I know - but they aren't too bad to replace.

Oh and the drivers seat will tear right where you slide off the seat at the seam. I don't think I found a truck that doesn't have this if it has any mileage on it over 100k.

1slowhatch

Reaction score
wow, that is a lot of helpful info, i appreciate it. i was wondering what the kdp was. so theoritically, if i find a truck with no 5th gear, it just needs a nut put back on/welded?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
wow, that is a lot of helpful info, i appreciate it. i was wondering what the kdp was. so theoritically, if i find a truck with no 5th gear, it just needs a nut put back on/welded?

Pretty much - I have reinstalled mine let me see here... 3 times... first time welding it all I did was very lightly tack weld it - this time trust me it won't come loose unless the shaft breaks.

The best thing to do would be to yank the trans apart and put in a new shaft and gear assembly but I'm a cheap begger so now you know why I welded it.