What should I look out for in a 6.2/6.5?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a swap into a full size jeep and wonder if there are any common problems, as well as the weight of the engine.

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
NapaBavarian,

The 6.2/6.5 is a great engine, good on fuel and rock solid reliable.
It's a tad wider than a SBC, but uses the same mounting points.
I found this web site where someone put an '84 vintage 6.2 in a Land Rover

www.aloharovers.com/howto/diesel/

It should be even easier in a FSJ. Does your Jeep have a V8 or six?
If you get one from a junkyard, get everything that goes with it- accessories, accessory brackets, wiring, hydraulic brake booster etc. This will make the swap go MUCH easier.

Good luck!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm wrapping up a 6.5 install in a '85 chev chassis in the next two days.
the BBC fan shroud fit with no problems. fan is not too deep in the shroud or too far out either. bellhousing bolt pattern is the same for any modern design chevy v-8. If you want to see/touch/feel the 6.5, you'll need to drop by in the next couple of days and take all the measurements you want.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
All my FSJs are V8s, I know people have done the swap before, so I'm not worried about it fitting, but these things don't seem to be as plentiful as the Navistar diesels, so I havn't seen one up close and personal.

Towcat- I'd love to come down and see, but it'll probably be all buttoned up by then, emailed a guy about a busted 6.2 to see if it had a turbo, might try to get it if I can, and found a 300CD in the east bay, so projects are lining up as we speak :D

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
Well, to me I would avoid the 6.5 altogether in anything that did not already have it. Don't get me wrong, I think they are cute and cuddly, smooth and quiet: and I am oddly attracted to 6.5 powered 'Burbs. But I don't think that they do anything well enough to make them worthy of the additional work necessary in an engine swap: not unusually powerful (or torquey), economical, or reliable (I know a logger that kept his truck running for years by buying the spare engine inventory of a local government agency when they abandoned the trucks that needed the spares).

I am not trying to bash anything, just being practical. Can't you find one of those 4 cylinder Cummins? I think that would be a cool Jeep motor. How about an Isuzu or Mitsubishi? When you look at a pickup with a 6.5 the engine compartment is fairly full of engine; look at a small block in comparison, tons of room. That space is being filled with cast iron, which I guess would be considered ballast (?).

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
If ballast realy is the issue then you are you more interested in the 4bt? It weighs in arround 750# from what I have found, while the 6.2/6.5 seems to tip the scales 100# less at 650#, so the 4BT has a good bit more ballast. I personally don't think that nearly 400 pounds of torque is a small ammount, especially in a 5000 pound truck. The GM engine is a light duty engine, and there is little point in using a cummins or another medium duty engine in a light duty application, and I can bolt the 6.2/6.5 to a TH400, since my Jeep came with a TH400 this would make for a very factory looking appearance.

As far as the other 2 engines...still not interested enough to go to all the work of a swap when the GM is almost a bolt in.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 ;Sweet as much as people knock it...in 4 low, my 6.2 burb will crawl itself anywhere..even with an auto..i dont even have to touch the throttle. give the 6.2 a break..its way better than the ol' non turbo power strokes...wanna talk about a gutless wonder :puke:

Macguyver82

DINSTAAR
Reaction score
I think Ford offered an N/A DI 7.3 as well as a turbo IDI 7.3 in late 94 but may be mistaken. cookoo What year(s) were the 7.3 DI turbo non intercooled?

As far as the jeep thing goes, the 6.2 is so close in size to a SBC it makes for an easy swap and above all it's *cheap* (compared to other options)
it has the Chevy bolt pattern so bolting a tranny to it is easy.

The 4BT Cummins is a great unit but (too) big and heavy.

The IHC engines (6.9/7.3 IDI) could be made to work, but are much heavier that the GM engine. On the DI, the electrical control system would be a major project alone. (It'd be cool to see a PSD in a jeep though... ;Sweet )

Mose of those small foreign made units (Isuzu, Kubota, Perkins, Lister-Petter etc) are nice units as well but parts availability, tranny mounting concerns, and cost usually make these unfeasible.

Bang for the buck, the 6.2 is the best bet. ;Sweet

but maybe I'm slightly jaded... ;p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online