What pressure radiator cap????

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a 13 psi cap on mine. I've heard from some other board members that it's a good idea to put a 7 psi cap on, and that the lower system pressure helps keep cavitation in check. But, never tested the theory myself...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Found out the same thing with mine. Went to Napa and they showed a 7# and a 13# cap for mine.
I went with the 13# for the ole gal.

Ron

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
OK thanks for the response. But what is the advantage of going with a higher pressure cap? Since it calls for a 7# and I just replaced the radiator i am going to put a 7# on it but i am wondering if there is an advantage to going with a higher pressure cap since none of you are running the 7# cap. Anybody??

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by smokin_stroker00
oh one other thing I think the higher pound cap will raise the boiling point of the coolant

Thats the right answer.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All my towtrucks have 7lb caps in them. all my pickups have 7lb caps too. it is true that 13ls cap raises the boil point but the stresses it puts on a cooling system that big will eventually rip apart a radiator. I have pulled hard over the sierras and through the cont. divide and never had a overheat. To me its a matter of personal preference, i figured that if the big boys are running 7lb systems on big OTR rigs, there really any reason I need to stress out the cooling system on my baby diesel.

smokin_stroker00

Reaction score
The higher pressure caps test the frost plugs.
I was having problems with the heater on a 84 gasser they told me to put a higher lbs cap on so I did replaced a couple of frost plugs and made the rad leak.

But the up side is I am glad it happened at home instead of on the roadLOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86