What power!

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I'd have to say the Cummins is breaking in just fine...

Had a clingon in an Infiniti something or other behind me tonight who didn't want to go the speed limit. Kept acting like he was going to pass me.

Got behind a slower truck (a Ford diesel!) and slowed up a tad, then Mr. Infiniti acts like he's going to go for it. Couldn't let that happen.

I left him behind the Ford, having gotten out and around the Ford right before a no passing zone started. Heheheheh. No doubt he could have caught me, but it was nice to leave him way back there.

This truck has unbelievable power. I was going waaaaayyyy too fast before I knew it--even with the 6 speed.

Did a little burn out after I turned from the corner. Felt the rear tires trying to chirp from a stop through shifting into 4th gear. Pretty impressed with the rig.

She got her first scratches last night. Two nice ones in the tailgate--inside the box--caused by my putting the truck box in.

The spray-on bedliner will hide that and any other damage caused by the box over the next two months before I can afford to get it sprayed in.

These are nice trucks... :)

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you like your truck so far, got 18000 on mine and mileage is banging about 20MPG every tank if I do my part. Couldn't ask for a more powerful, fuel efficient truck if I built it myself. Scotty

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you like your truck so far, got 18000 on mine and mileage is banging about 20MPG every tank if I do my part. Couldn't ask for a more powerful, fuel efficient truck if I built it myself. Scotty

Hey, Scotty, long time since I've posted here. How's your fuel mileage now? I'm knocking on 22mpg's door on the interstate at 15,000 miles on the truck.

She almost got away from me a month or so ago heading up a hill near Atlanta with a riceburner on my tail. Pulling a loaded 30' gooseneck horse trailer, I jumped from 75 to 95 in literally about 4-5 seconds. Totally blew me away--will have to be easier on the throttle as I wasn't expecting the truck to take off like that with the load.

The ricer driver wasn't either. Slowed down and let him by as soon as I could get into the slowpoke lane.

Getting about 12-14 with the trailer in tow--about 8500 pounds most of the time. Very similar pulling mileage to my '91 F-350, which got about 11-13 with the same load (though it was pulling the load at about 2100rpm in overdrive, if I recall, vs 2400 on the Cummins with manual transmission.)

Love the truck, but wish it had 7 speeds sometimes.

Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
got into the slowpoke lane :confused: why :dunno

Just set the cruise at 75 and sit back and enjoy the ride (load or no load) she'll yank the grade just fine...

So when ya gonna start turning up the power

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is great, I am not sure what my recent mileage is, but when I left in January it was always right around 20mpg. After I started hitting that every tank, I started to quit worrying about it. It ends up being over 700+ miles every tank. Now, I have a 5th wheel toy hauler, and it weighs about 11K lbs, so we shall see how it pulls it. I have bough some things for the truck while deployed this time. Gauges, Air Bags, Cold Air Intake, PacBrake PRXB, and a Q-Zilla X-Raider, but I am not sure when / if I am going ot put it on. The truck really doesn't need the power, but I got a good deal on it. Overall, I am quite pleased with the truck. I am sure the truck has about 30K on it now (deployed, wife drives it) and there are no complaints. Should be getting the 5th wheel installed soon, and once I get back in a month, we are going to take the new trailer out and give the truck a little work out. Scotty

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Had to slow down because 1) towing horses, and 2) the law. I don't tend to go much more than 68 with the trailer unless I'm in fast traffic and want to minimize the folks zig-zagging in and out at an arm's length behind the trailer.

Just stunning performance. Scotty, I won't let my wife drive mine, not since the chocolate incident shortly after I bought the truck. Still haven't had a chance to get the seats steam cleaned... huah to you for letting her do so!

Mike

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't keep my wife outta the truck. She likes it more than any other vehicle I have owned, plus, she pulled my 20ft trailer with quads a few times with no troubles (through WV). Scotty

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Rob, I'm turning 22.3 on a pretty consistant basis with mine and that is a mix of highway and city 50/50... When hauling the truck camper I am getting 17. and you know how I drive.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Psh, well my 351 Windsor turns 14 consistently :p

Can't bring myself to sell er, otherwise i'd probably have a cummins.

MMeier

Reaction score
Rob, I'm turning 22.3 on a pretty consistant basis with mine and that is a mix of highway and city 50/50... When hauling the truck camper I am getting 17. and you know how I drive.

You doing your own math, or using the overhead?? :dunno

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You doing your own math, or using the overhead?? :dunno

No overhead... I have to do it the old fashioned way with a calculator or in my case a spreadsheet in excell office then I get purdy graphs with averages for price per gallon and mpg that separate out when I'm towing and not towing...

Slaughterhouse

Banned everwhere!!!
Reaction score
Well, I'd have to say the Cummins is breaking in just fine...

This truck has unbelievable power. I was going waaaaayyyy too fast before I knew it--even with the 6 speed.

These are nice trucks... :)

I have to agree....I have the 6.7L and 6-speed AUTO and time will tell how they do but so far IT RUNS LIKE A BEAST and is giving me over 18mpg....hopefully more mpg after it gets broke in really good. :thumbsup:

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best things yet have been:

1) Dusting off a Ford 6.0 automatic from a 3mph rolling start with my Dodge 5.9 manual. I cherish that. Stock configuration on my truck.

2) Leaving a Duramax (unknown year) in the dust while climbing the hills outside of Asheville, NC on I-26 N. He was pulling a small tractor, maybe equal to the 8000 pound 30' gooseneck horse trailer I was pulling. On ALL the steep grades I put distance between us. He'd almost catch up when things flattened out, only to lose ground again on the next hill.

He and his buddy were like, "***" when they finally passed me on the flats ( was going the speed limit.)

Heheheheheh.

The Dodge 5.9 and 6-speed manual was THE TRUCK to have last year (2006.) Hopefully the new 6.7 and 6-speed automatic will be the bomb this year and carry Dodge on. The 2008 Dmax is faster up hills according to a recent road test I read somewhere (pickuptruck.com??) Dodge was 2nd, ahead of the Ford with 6.4.

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony