What kind of Power?

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a simple question, what kind of power are you guys making on a moose pump and injectors, IC, and the usual bolt ons tuned in. I would just like to see some dyno charts from some guys that may have them even stock, just trying to get a baseline of what to do in what order. I got my truck on the cheap, and although I like it I dont want to dump all kinds of money into it with little to no gain, it would feel like working on a RX7 again that does not have an LS1.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome-
if you need to see graphical evidence of power gain, you've come to the wrong place. Most of us accept the fact these motors aren't powerhouses.
Even when we did finally get a day on the rollers at TS performance, the numbers were inconclusive at best.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is from the 2009 IDI rally. It is posted in the FAQ section. I've just copy and pasted it here:

Q. What kind of horsepower can I expect from an IDI 6.9 or 7.3 diesel?

A. Contributed by Heath Sutton...

Editors note... These results are rear wheel SAE horsepower numbers achieved on a SuperFlow dynometer unit during the 2009 IDI Weekend in Bowling Green, Kentucky, and represent a large cross section of truck models and styles. Some Powerstroke engines are listed for comparison. Most were modified.

Name - Horsepower - Torque in ft/lbs

Non turbo results

John Herbert 143.9 261.3
Marnin Gehman 137.4 257.1
Heath Sutton 123.2 218.7
Matthias Agne 108.8 229.1

Turbo results

Heath Sutton- DPS inj 185.1 404.0
Heath Sutton MM's 178.7 387.9
Joe Perry 172.5 313.6
Suzi Agne 151.9 284.2
Steve Reitner 150.0 300.3
Chris Barber 148.7 278.8
Jared Whitmer 136.0 304.1

Powerstrokes

Gary Russell 302.8 557.2
Aric Hornsby 301.9 543.7
Bonnie Young 181.8 373.3

I have a Banks with a disabled wastegate, DPS IP, and now Moose injectors.

Search for dyno results for discussions about the dyno day we had at the Rally.

Heath

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welcome-
if you need to see graphical evidence of power gain, you've come to the wrong place. Most of us accept the fact these motors aren't powerhouses.
Even when we did finally get a day on the rollers at TS performance, the numbers were inconclusive at best.

I understand that these motor are not powerhouses and never will be, I look at it as a form of numbers, I got the truck for cheap and I have limited myself to 3k worth of goodies for it. As the truck sits right now it runs better than most early PSD i have been in, this may because of the weight of the vehicle compared to the others. I have turned up the pump a bit and have an EGT gauge I am right at 1100* and without the proper air upgrades I do not want to push it further. I guess my main question is, with the usual mods can I hit 250hp to the ground and around 400ft lbs.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
I guess my main question is, with the usual mods can I hit 250hp to the ground and around 400ft lbs.

theres only been a handful of IDIs that i know of that have gone over, or barely touched the 200 mark. without a turbo and extensive work i doubt that it is possible. I dont mean to shoot you down on your ideas, but just trying to give you some insight.

oh and by the way Welcome to OB ;Sweet

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres only been a handful of IDIs that i know of that have gone over, or barely touched the 200 mark. without a turbo and extensive work i doubt that it is possible. I dont mean to shoot you down on your ideas, but just trying to give you some insight.

oh and by the way Welcome to OB ;Sweet

Sorry to be misleading my truck is turbo, for some reason my sig did not show up at first.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LOl must have popped up when I was typing my other reply.

I saw this in the archives, do the mods at the time of the dyno reflect upon what you have in your sig now?
I happens to me all the time too. LOL

Yes. I pulled with what is in the signature and what I drive everyday.

Heath

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I happens to me all the time too. LOL

Yes. I pulled with what is in the signature and what I drive everyday.

Heath

DO you personally prefer the moose pump or the DPS one. I was going to go moose because that is all I read about. I happen to have a spare hx35 laying around from a buddy of mine, and a new set of headgaskets and a stud kit seems pretty cheap.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO you personally prefer the moose pump or the DPS one. I was going to go moose because that is all I read about. I happen to have a spare hx35 laying around from a buddy of mine, and a new set of headgaskets and a stud kit seems pretty cheap.
anything more than 15psi and your heads will commence liftoff.:eek:
I am running at 5psi and the truck is already plenty quick enough for my use.

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
anything more than 15psi and your heads will commence liftoff.:eek:
I am running at 5psi and the truck is already plenty quick enough for my use.

Is this with studs or without, I plan on studding this motor anyways because it just seems like a good idea. If I only had the money to get some lower compression pistons.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO you personally prefer the moose pump or the DPS one. I was going to go moose because that is all I read about.

I've never had a Moose pump. I've seen and read only good things about it. I had DPS injectos, but the quality was horrifiing. Thank God, Mel has injectors now. I will have a Moose pump when my DPS IP dies........ or I will be adding a Moose Bosch A pump to my DT466 after I repower the truck. Which ever happens first.;Really

Personally, I'd go with the Moose pump. It wasn't even in existence when I bought the DPS stuff or I'd have a Moose pump on there now. The DPS pump does OK for what I need, but I honestly need more fuel. The fuel screw is maxed on the thing and I still never see more than 800-900 on the pyro. Plus Mel's customer service it second to none. DPS really has no cutomer service and will not stand behind the product and the workmanship done on those injectors was pitiful.

Heath

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had a Moose pump. I've seen and read only good things about it. I had DPS injectos, but the quality was horrifiing. Thank God, Mel has injectors now. I will have a Moose pump when my DPS IP dies........ or I will be adding a Moose Bosch A pump to my DT466 after I repower the truck. Which ever happens first.;Really

Personally, I'd go with the Moose pump. It wasn't even in existence when I bought the DPS stuff or I'd have a Moose pump on there now. The DPS pump does OK for what I need, but I honestly need more fuel. The fuel screw is maxed on the thing and I still never see more than 800-900 on the pyro. Plus Mel's customer service it second to none. DPS really has no cutomer service and will not stand behind the product and the workmanship done on those injectors was pitiful.

Heath

Hmm what am I doing wrong then, I am at 1100* with stock pump turned up a bit, I may fiddle with the WG today and see just what kind of boost I am getting, I would love to see my EGTS go down a bit.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm what am I doing wrong then, I am at 1100* with stock pump turned up a bit, I may fiddle with the WG today and see just what kind of boost I am getting, I would love to see my EGTS go down a bit.

Timing of the IP is quite important as well. Mine is 9.5 degree BTDC. Which is one degree advanced from the recommended Ford standard. That was Ken's (DPS) advice to me when I got his IP. A big thanks to Mel for timing my truck at the Rally.:hail

Without the proper equipment....... timing by ear or using the timing mark on the IP and the IP gear cover is just a close guess. Search on timing the IP and you will find tons of info. It's is getting hard to find a shop that has the equipment and know how to properly time this IDI anymore.

If you can make it to a Rally...... Mel can time your truck for free.

Heath