What´s wrong- NO it´s not the obvious! Smokes like hell!

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3pin connector is the block heater unit. the wire plugs into the pins.
the "stream" ....... you mean vapors/smoke?

Block heater, alright. Did ford charge the style of the connector?

With steam I mean "smoke"- thought of its water it's by definition steam not smoke anyway.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the "smoke" you see is blowby....ie compression getting through the rings.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
As mentioned above - it´s not that easy. Compression is like on a new engine (cold). "Smoke" is pretty much sure not oil - so probably water.
But look at the cap: no emulsion on that - what would be typical for a water/oil mixture! Engine has been run since install roughly 5 hours or more.

Smoke from the exhaust is constant. So with higher RPM it is still there. There is no "if you let the pedal-off" more smoke coming like (at least) I would expect from bad valve guides.

Next steps in a intelligent way are required. My truck sits 200 miles away !!! btw.
- how to check if valve guides are the source of the BLUE smoke out of the exhaust? The easy way ???
- Any suggestions on how to remove the IP from a VAN?

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
is that vid shot at idle of off idle? only way to properly tell blowby is raising the rpms about 300-500 over idle.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that vid shot at idle of off idle? only way to properly tell blowby is raising the rpms about 300-500 over idle.
The video above with the smoke coming out of the Oil Filler is in idle. With RPM rising there is nothing.

This is NOT my truck - but looks similar. Here it was the IP:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have no blowby off idle you have no issues.
stop imaging problems where there's none :D
now the white smoke on the exhaust is a very real problem.
i do need to confirm you aren't seeing this in the wintertime right?
you have seen this in the summer?

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you have no blowby off idle you have no issues.
stop imaging problems where there's none :D
now the white smoke on the exhaust is a very real problem.
i do need to confirm you aren't seeing this in the wintertime right?
you have seen this in the summer?

smoke in the exhaust is blue, not white. You are probably right regarding the white smoke from the oil filler- no issue there.

today I removed the IP from the van. not a fun job! I needed to undo all 8 lines at BOTH ends to get it out! ☹ no way to get them between the Fuek Filter and Tranny oil check line.

but its out now and will be checked .... to be continued.

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pump is out now. I spoke to someone who has knowledge :Thumbs Up [I mean in Germany with knowlege]
Just by talking about some issues on the engine he pointed out that the "advaning whatever piston below the pump thing" [I don´t have the correct working in engl. at the moment cookoo] is probably stuck. Having a short look at that: He was right!
http://www.derjackistweg.de/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/IMG_20170222_163117-e1487777748226.jpg

So that´s I am after now. to be continued ...

Last edited:

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:
After installing the partly rebuild IP, I was able to get the truck started. Due to an unknown issue with a non working starter I needed to jump the relay with a cable to “S“ terminal @ the starter solenoid.
If anyone has an idea what this is it's very welcome. Starter, solenoid and starter relay (ex changed) do work.

Back to main topic:
In the first 30 seconds the engine was not working on all 8 - add you can hear and see. This is due to air in line #2. This line was also not totally right and fuel leaking. No biggy anymore ...