West Coast Fall Get Together

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update!!!!!
When-5-7 Oct
Where-Pismo Beach 100 Pier Ave, Oceano, CA 93445
Motel-Oxford Suites

Some will camp some will take a room. I will be making food friday (i need a final count so i prepare enough).it will be country steak gravy soaked with mashed taters an corn on cob. Anyone else who wants to add a dish let me know so I can post it here.

Towcat-paper plates an cook tops.
Devon- Friday dinner,water,grill,cooler space.
88Ford-
The Warden-
DragRag-

Last edited:

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in!

I have a buddy who is a wine maker in the Santa Barbara area as an idea if you'd like. I'll help set that up. He has no room for campers, but there are some local camp grounds and motel/hotels.

Otherwise I'm up for most anything!

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds good we can keep discussing this. That does sound nice though. Im looking for a spot as well trying to get a campground with things close by that could accomidate to our needs and our large trucks lol. Anyways do we wanna do like a weekend thing?

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weekend for sure.

Although I know a 3 day weekend would be ideal, my wife already has plans for Labor Day, so we'd be out for that one. Otherwise, I think we're pretty flexible.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya a 3 day weekend would be nice. Hopfully others will chime in on what days would be best for them.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only other 3 day weekend is Labor Day isn't it. Afetr that it is Thanksgiving which would be bad for most I'm sure.I have never been to NorCal. That would be a fun weekend thing for sure.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would love to attend, **but** I'm not available till Dec as I'm in Newport RI for a month starting monday and then deployed through Nov. Fun times.....

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Depending on work (and that is a busy time in entertainment) I'm in. I won't know till really close if I can make it tho. =(

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
This is usually the dilemma we always have trying to organize a west coast event.

It's usually right after the big IDI rally, and we all read the stories and see the pictures and yearn for our chance to shine the trucks and sit around a campfire with friends and shoot the bull. But fall sucks for rallies. There's not many three day weekends, most of us have burned up our vacation time at work doing something in the summer.

I'm not trying to nay-say, I would really be stoked if we got one of these things put together, a three day weekend would be nice, but most if not all of the campgrounds out here are going to be packed to the gills on the last big weekend of summer. Hell, I can't hardly get single campsites for two day weekends out here anymore without a couple month notice.

I've actually had the best luck camping out here in the late fall - early winter. By then the crowds have thinned out. A couple years ago my wife and her family and I camped out on thanksgiving. Everyone thought it would be a bust, but man did that deep fried turkey taste good on a picnic table up in the woods ! :D

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If those of you with with camper trailers dont need to plug places around here that are always open and cost a whopping 5 bucks its in the mountains so we would be driving about 60 miles into town. im still looking for other places. Are we wanting a get together and camp and bs thing maybe go some where once but just hang around idk you guys tell me. Me and Jared will plan it out and set it up.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just be aware this project you're taking on is a huge commitment. the last guy in sacto didn't follow trough and we had one pissed off local up there wandering around the campsite wondering what happened to everybody.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Towcat trying to scare me I see lol JK I understand what you mean and I had talked to Ron about what it takes and talked to him often as he was planning the MI Rally. I have a good idea on how to do it Ron said first try an pick a day that works for most and im trying to now. I dont mind taking it a lil ferther north but I know less places that way as I have not traveled much of Cali before. I wont back out (as I love meeting all mechanical injected diesels owners) and dont expect it to be very (big) yet. I hope to get at least 10 trucks (IDI'S) that would be sweet. I know that I have 4 12valvers local that would attend. Anyways I hope this will spark some intrest and we could all have a lil get together as many of us could not attend the rally (bumer) oh well. Lets do it guys it will be fun.

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't disagree with the timing concerns expressed here. I noticed only two out of towners (from SD) responded so far, and that Devon has other than IDI'ers interested. Maybe we can do one more local to SD for the first one. Not necessarily in SD itself, but closer to here mostly due to time savings required to travel.

I guess a question to be answered is, if it's mostly locals to SD interested, why travel further than we need too? Maybe just an over-nighter v. extended stay?

A river trip would be good too. Closer to Vegas, and some of the CenKali's homes. Gary might make a river trip, he's only a few hours North of us which puts him closer to the river too. Also, the river is perfect in the fall. Not too hot, river is still warm and skeeters are not so prevalent.

Just thinking out loud.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Yeah, I remember watching that one fall apart. I think Capt Tom has the right idea, create something very low key and no one is disappointed. Calvin has the right idea with his, we all meet at his place and whatever happens, happens. When you try to add overnight or weekend components, it gets tougher to organize unless you start a year in advance. A couple of months advance warning and a place to park all of the trucks should be enough to start. Then we decide of we want to try to organize a group feed instead of going to restaurants.

Every new feature to a gathering like this adds more complexity and has the unfortunate side effect of forcing some people to miss it. I suggest an all day Saturday GTG somewhere in the San Diego area, then people can come in Friday or early Sat. and leave Sat evening or early Sun. Nobody has to feel left out or rushed to get there. Once we agree on which Saturday, we can decide if we want to do more than talk and look under the hood of the trucks.

My two cents. I am looking forward to meeting other OB folks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylerperson

Members online