Well that didnt work: Lucky Mod Failed

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Started getting VERY bad vibrations that would come and go with placement of the clutch.
Looked under the cover, didnt see anything that stood out. Tried rotating the two disks to see if there was any movement, nothing. Heard a clunk, so moved it forward and back (to engine and to rear) and it moves almost a half of an inch.
Dont know what is going on here. We torqued the crank bolts and put loc tite on them. -cuss

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Are you saying the flywheel is moving? If so it couldn't have been sitting flush on the crank and it could have vibrated loose?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shawn, I never thought to ask you, but when you assembled your flywheel, did you put the nuts for the through bolts of the lucky mod toward the front? That way, you can see the nuts throught the inspection plate, and montor for looseness.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Mel, I dont remember for sure.
Good thing my dad cought it though, or I'd be living with two less limbs right now.

I honestly dont know what happened. I havent looked at it. I was out of town all weekend.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you use fine thread bolts, and torque them to spec with a calibrated wrench? A drop of red locktight is a good idea too.

IHWillys

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use fine thread bolts, and torque them to spec with a calibrated wrench? A drop of red locktight is a good idea too.

It sounds to me as if safety wiring those nuts would be a good thing to do but I'm merely a sideline observer on the Lucky Mod subject.

Ken

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Didn't use nylon stopnuts by chance?

Don't ask me how I know that one. :rolleyes:

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Once you have them torqued, why not tack them with a welder?My father in law had a psd that the fly wheel started throwing parts out of, and they just welded it on the outer edge with it still in the truck. I would worry about balance doing that way but they never had any problems with it.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Balance and warpage would be the two things I'd worry about in that instance. I guess it can be done, as you attest.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Balance and warpage would be the two things I'd worry about in that instance. I guess it can be done, as you attest.

I asked them about the balance and warpage issue, they said they never noticed any new vibrations.:dunno He said they didn't go all they way around it. just three different spots. I guess they got lucky. But i was thinking of just tacking the bolts once you got them torqued. I would think that wouldn't create enough heat to warp it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online