Weird clutch sound...

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Well, during warm up today to test my new gauge set (pics coming soon), I was reminded of a clutch issue I have had for a while. Note that this noise is only audible on colder days during the first start of the day. Otherwise, not even noticeable.

I spliced together a few clips I had from when I did my glowplugs to give you guys an idea of the weird sound I've been hearing. What the hell is this from? It has been there for years so I never questioned it...but it beats the creaking sound my clutch used to have cookoo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPybHy61azM

Any ideas are appreciated, thanks!

-Dave

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
from the looks of it - when you press in on the clutch the sounds goes away - so that sounds like a throw out bearing to me.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
That is what my Dad thought as well when it heard it for the first time. He didn't think it would be worth tearing apart until I needed some real transmission work though lol

Actually, what would a throwout bearing replacement take on these? Only real transmission work I have ever done have been direct swaps when I worked at the shop or fluids.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, what would a throwout bearing replacement take on these? Only real transmission work I have ever done have been direct swaps when I worked at the shop or fluids.

Just shy of a full clutch since trans removal is required. It does sound like the throwout bearing but not so serious that you have to rush and replace it. What you could do in case argve and I could be wrong is check the trans fluid level and top off if needed. I say this in case it's the input shaft saying the trans is low.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Just shy of a full clutch since trans removal is required. It does sound like the throwout bearing but not so serious that you have to rush and replace it. What you could do in case argve and I could be wrong is check the trans fluid level and top off if needed. I say this in case it's the input shaft saying the trans is low.

I figured it would be quite the job in itself. If my DMF ever gives out, I'll probably replace it while I am in there.
Again, it is only audible during warm-up in colder temps, so its not too much of an issue. Just wanted to know what it could mean in the future ;Sweet

The fluid level in my ZF5 is at full as of yesterday. Still bright red and clean too!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will get worse. Been there done that. You CAN save it, but it is very painfull. Get yourself a new TOB and take a good look at it. There is a small crevice around the outside of it. If you pull your clutch fork and stick your hand in there, over the course of about an hour you can message enough grease back into it through that crevice to give it new life. I've done it, and that bearing is now 5 years older than it would have been. It probably takes about as long to swap the bearing, but if your lazy this is an easy way to go.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
It will get worse. Been there done that. You CAN save it, but it is very painfull. Get yourself a new TOB and take a good look at it. There is a small crevice around the outside of it. If you pull your clutch fork and stick your hand in there, over the course of about an hour you can message enough grease back into it through that crevice to give it new life. I've done it, and that bearing is now 5 years older than it would have been. It probably takes about as long to swap the bearing, but if your lazy this is an easy way to go.

Might be worth the effort to make it last a little longer, thanks for the tip! I will see if I can crawl under there today and get to that bearing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online