want to rbuild your E4OD or 4R100 check this out

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice photography. But without any written or verbal instructions it's almost useless. Much better to buy the ASTG manual for $25. I did years ago and got a video with it, I think the video is on a CD now. IF you DIY ya better get one, many changes have been made over the years since 1989. Ya gotta PSD with a 4R100, manuals are available also.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What and where is a good rebuild book for the e4od? I'm going to have to dig into this myself due to budget constrains, I dont really want to just dump in a converter and call it done there too flippn expensive to tear up and then have to replace again..I have been surfin around but havent come across any yet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you have a good public library, take a stroll through the reference section some day. Dealerships have a habit of donating old service manuals to public libraries if the owner's wify-poo happens to be on a library board or have such friends, you might be amazed at what you can copy off for a nickel a page.. things like +the complete factory e4od rebuild and service manual :D

twistedwrench

Reaction score
Nice photography. But without any written or verbal instructions it's almost useless. Much better to buy the ASTG manual for $25. I did years ago and got a video with it, I think the video is on a CD now. IF you DIY ya better get one, many changes have been made over the years since 1989. Ya gotta PSD with a 4R100, manuals are available also.

I am so sorry I didn’t write complete directions for you.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sure didn't mean any derrogatory remarks about your thread on the E4OD tear down. If your like me "hunt and punch" typing on the computer, it takes considerable time to explain all that. I do have the ATSG E4OD manual, and rebuilt several of them with the updates, including Sonnax shift kit. The ATSG manual is taken from the Ford factory manual. If you search any of my posts, I try to go into great detail, and that takes a lot of time. Sorry if I offended you. Sure didn't mean to.

twistedwrench

Reaction score
I sure didn't mean any derrogatory remarks about your thread on the E4OD tear down. If your like me "hunt and punch" typing on the computer, it takes considerable time to explain all that. I do have the ATSG E4OD manual, and rebuilt several of them with the updates, including Sonnax shift kit. The ATSG manual is taken from the Ford factory manual. If you search any of my posts, I try to go into great detail, and that takes a lot of time. Sorry if I offended you. Sure didn't mean to.

It’s all good. Just seeing if you’re awake. lol
Totally agree on TIME.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s all good. Just seeing if you’re awake. lol
Totally agree on TIME.

Thanks for the excellent post...Thats going to be very helpful, Best damn post for tearing into a e4od that I have found!;Sweet

How did the guy bust the forward clutch drum or is that one of the weak areas in the trans? I know mine has none of the upgrades 1991 has never been apart as far as I can tell, It only had 80000 miles on the clock but by the looks of the truck they were hard miles.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now thats some carnage! Oldbull I may have a few questions when I tear into this you mind if I PM you with a few questions? Friday I noticed a vibration dont know if its from the tranny but its noticeable in 2nd and 3rd but nothing in 1st or overdrive, I have the book on the way to get studied up on what I have to do...Shouldnt be too bad, I'v built alot of engines and rear ends but never a trans.