Wandered up from the Basement - Got a couple ?'s

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
...I figured most of the IDI guys had already pulled this thread into the ditch, my comments couldnt hurt it any further. ;Sweet
we're famous for that stunt :D
kept us looking very benign with the mods who only looked at thread titles over at the other place.;p

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat said:
we're famous for that stunt :D
kept us looking very benign with the mods who only looked at thread titles over at the other place.;p
Yeah, you really cant trust those moderator types..............

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Now the comment about the fifth gear nut falling off - from what I have read on TDR and DTR is that if you lug the engine in 5th gear that is what causes the nut to back off - meaning being in 5th gear at rpms lower than 1500 rpms because it sets up a harmonic vibration in the tranny that just rattles the heck out of the nut. I have 210k miles on mine and according to both previous owners (I'm the third owner of the truck) that the 5th gear nut has not been touched. Which mine still has all 5 gears (fingers crossed at this point since I mentioned something).

I just drop a gear when I get to down to 1500 rpms and if I'm pulling or have a heavy load I try not to be in 5th in anything under about 1700~1800 rpms just in case the added weight and strain has anything to do with it.

*trying to yank this out of the weeds* ;p LOL

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Well, I appreciate all the input. Sounds like these trucks are pretty "brittle" in stock form though. I'm not someone who is easy on equipment, of any kind, so I would have to do some upgrading pronto. Problem is, while the price is a good deal, it's only a good deal if you can afford it. I could, but there would be NO $$$ for mods for a while & my luck would be to break something before I could afford to fix it. My IDI runs very well on a worn out IP & injectors. Than was the first mod for spring. Would a stock 24V run as well what I have now? As a point of reference, my truck will take a stock PSD by one 1 or 2 "short & curlys".

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
When I test drove the stock 24v I liken'd it to The E powerwise maybe had a little more umph than the E did. I know that you have done about the same mods to your truck as The E had done but not sure if you're leaning on the fuel screw as much as I did.

But not having ability to have both trucks side by side I could be wrong but I logged a ton of miles in The E and have a pretty good feel for how she reacted - so I would say that you would see a slight bit more power but it would not be a huge amount. I would venture to say that you would see a little better pulling performance out of an inline engine over a v8 design only because of where it develops it's torque (lower rpms) so it would appear to have more power (seat of the pants) when lugging a hill with a trailer strapped to yer butt.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I look at both motors & I think I saw 53 in both numbers. After googling what Travis told me to, I don't think I want either of them.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
Zactly, my comment was aimed at 2500cummins just for conversational purposes. I figured most of the IDI guys had already pulled this thread into the ditch, my comments couldnt hurt it any further. ;Sweet

Oh, ok. I guess I am considered an IDI guy! Tell you what, if a nice Cummins comes my way for the right price, SOLD! :)

IDIeselman

Reaction score
Yeah and if a NICE cummins comes my way I'm buying it also cause I'll have the only one :draw

Really the cummins is an awesome engine and those who say otherwise are uneducated or just plain dumb, I too would own one for the right price.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
next thing we know.. you IDI guys will be posting in the 3rd gen forum here. :backoff

2500cummins

Reaction score
apextrans said:
I could be wrong but I look at both motors & I think I saw 53 in both numbers. After googling what Travis told me to, I don't think I want either of them.
Are you talking about a large 53 about 1-1/2" tall cast above the left front oil pan rail or a 53 stamped in somewhere? stamped in numbers dont count. I didnt think the 53 were used after '99?

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
They are cast in... If you do a google on it there is tons of reading. When I first started looking and was having a hard time finding a 12v that I liked I started to look at 24v trucks (2nd gen) and then everything that I found that was in my price range here locally had the 53 cast into it - so I didn't pursue much futher on them to find out what years the 53 was used... Because my price range was keeping me in the 99 and under model years.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as mike said my comments cant hurt either so get a PSD and be done with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron