Vw Tdi

aikejon

C. Claven Scholar
Reaction score
The differences afaik in NOx emissions for a healthy tdi are so negligible as to only matter in dense urban areas with many other diesels. Since there are so few tdi's in North America, I'd focus my environmental worries on the one-tonnes and semi trucks. But that's only my opinion, since I am lucky enough to live in an area where I get nothing but fresh unspoiled air from northwest Ontario (I'm not downwind from any significant municipality at all). I also do every bit of required and preventative maintenance, since I have dared my self to beat 1,000,000 with mine. People who live anywhere but Montana and the Dakotas may have different concerns.

Certainly there are guys who have turned theirs off (or whatever) and have had zero carbon deposit after X00,000's of miles. Since I am at 250,000 and I'm just looking at cleaning mine (and mine's been on the whole time), I expect that by turning mine off I will NEVER have to clean it again. I AM curious if it has any effect on combustion/exhaust temps though... just a general curiousity.

Having said that, I'll be paying a VW specialty shop to clean my manifold for me for three-hours labour next month. They hot-dip it at a local metal shop for free. Around my house, that's about $165Cdn.